Anemone got sucked into filter

Discussion in 'Coral' started by dustingrantham, Feb 20, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dustingrantham

dustingrantham Plankton

i have a bubble tip anemone and a maroon clown and a sebae clown. the sebae started hosting the bubble tip yesterday and so it decided to move for some reason last night. as i was watching this happen i fell asleep and didt wake up until the anemone was in sucked onto my filter. i do have a guard on there so i didnt think it was that bad. i was able to get him off and i put in a different spot to keep him from moving. this seemed to work at first because he stuck back onto the rock and began to open a little. when i woke up this morning he was in a new spot but in hiding spot with very little light and he is shriveled up.

does anyone have some news that will make me feel better or do you think the anemone is done for?

2. Click Here!

3. Dsilowka3

Dsilowka3 Fire Worm

Hard to say, but could just be hiding trying to heal itself... i would def. keep a close eye on it

4. cement_skis

cement_skis Sea Dragon

Like above said, leave him alone......dont move him as he will find out what he likes. Anemones like to find happiness themselves and dont care for being moved. Just keep a close eye on him and try to feed it meaty foods.

5. dustingrantham

dustingrantham Plankton

thanks for the help. what is normally fed to the bubble tip?

6. lisafromnochas

lisafromnochas Fire Worm

A friend of mine had that happen. thought it was a gonner and removed it from the tank. low and behold a few weeks later she found a piece of him that had survived living on a rock in the back of the tank....there is hope! ;)

7. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

regardless, you should always always research before buying ANY livestock...not to be rash or anything, but you should already have known what a bubble tip eats before purchasing it.

as for the anemone, anything along the line of krill, silversides...anything meaty will do.

and as long as it doesn't start puking it's insides out and smell really bad...you should be fine.

8. Click Here!

9. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

We use the frozen cubes of "meaty" fish food to spot feed the BTA, bristle stars, etc....

10. dustingrantham

dustingrantham Plankton

11. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

I think you'll be fine. My BTA got sucked into the intake of an Emperor filter once. It took a half hour to delicately pull all of its tentacles out of the screen one by one. Only a few tentacles were damaged. It lived and is doing well.

I feed mine some of the bigger pieced in Rod's food and pieces of Formula One cubes. Actually, since my Tomato clown started hosting it it does the feeding for me.

12. reefwisperer

reefwisperer Feather Duster

anemone

do you see any of this yellow stuff if so you need to remove him to avoid nuking your tank. my spiny rose urchin got to mine and cut his abdomin. if he did not get cut then he'll problly pull thru.here is a pic of what to look for.

Attached Files: