anemone dying???

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by agiuliano87, Sep 30, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. agiuliano87

agiuliano87 Astrea Snail

I don't know what happened...out of no where today my anemone looked like this. I just tested my water yesterday and everything is fine. Is he dying?? :( Should I get him out?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

How old is your tank?
    What are your params?
    How long have you had the anemone?
    What kind of lights do you have?
    How big is the tank?

4. Triggerfish

Triggerfish Ritteri Anemone

Did your temp. fluctuate? the same thing happened to my condy after the temperature rose to 88.

5. agiuliano87

agiuliano87 Astrea Snail

the tank is only a week old but I took the water from my boyfriends tank which is like 3 months old.
    nitrate nitrite and ammonia is 0 and ph is 8.0 and its a 14 gal biocube, with the special coral lights and all I have in there is the anemone and the clown fish

6. agiuliano87

agiuliano87 Astrea Snail

I don't think it did, I have a heater in there thats set to 78* and it turns off and on to keep it at that temp all the time..

7. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

Water from an existing tank doesn't make a new tank become a mature tank. Your problem here is most likely a lack of beneficial bacteria and/or reef conditions to sustain an anemone.

8. Click Here!

9. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

WHOA! TANK IS WAAAAAY TOO YOUNG!
    Just because you took water from a three month old tank doesn't mean your tank is ready for an anemone. In fact, the water won't do much for you at all. The beneficial bacteria doesn't grow in the water for the most part, it grows on the rocks,glass and plastics in the tank.
    A tank that is readily able to host a healthy anemone is usually about a year or more old.
    Also that tank is on the small side for a anemone, unless you are very experienced, and even then its not good for it. The lights are more than likely PC's are are extremely inadequate.
    Take that thing back to the store.

10. agiuliano87

agiuliano87 Astrea Snail

my LFS told us that as long as we had live rock and established water it would do fine :(

11. agiuliano87

agiuliano87 Astrea Snail

all of my rocks have a ton of that purple algae.. not sure if that makes a difference

12. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

Unfortunately hon, many LFSs are dishonest and will sell you anything just for a quick buck. I would take the anemone and the fish back to the store asap and let your tank cycle first. If you really have to have a fish, wait another week and a half or so and get a damsel. Find a new LFS too, one that wont be so reckless.
    The reason your levels are at 0 is because the tank hasn't begun to cycle yet.
    Research research research and be patient.