Urgent Anemone died in main tank and I didnt know!!!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Reef_junky, Jun 13, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jbraslins

jbraslins Teardrop Maxima Clam

Are you sure it's not just cyano? It can come in various colors and when on substrate takes on crust/jello like appearance.

If it's cyano, water changes + removing by hand (which you already doing) is the best route. If you don't have any clams, you can also add GFO. Running SeaChem PhosGuard mixed in with carbon pretty much eliminated all cyano in my tank.

The reason I mention clams is cause suppousedly they can get pinched mantle disease from GFO.

Got a pic?

2. Click Here!

3. jbraslins

Another thought,

If indeed it is cyano and not some harmful toxic stuff, there's a lot of useful bacteria in the sand. In LR too. Removing old sand and adding new could have reduced your tanks filtration capacity and made cyano grow faster?

Perhaps the more LR/sand you remove from tank, the less filtration capacity it has.

Did you have any water param/fish/coral issues after the nem died before you removed sand/stuff? Or was it just unsightly slime on the sand?

4. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

agree. any time you start pulling and changing things you throw the balance off .

5. epsilon

epsilon Feather Star

+1
    Definitely double check that ph, I'm not sure that can/is leading to your problem but it can cause a host of other ones.

+1 not only did you stir up stuff while removing it, you've removed beneficial bacteria too.

6. Reef_junky

Reef_junky Plankton

Here are some pics of the stuff..hope i linked it right..[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Sacul1573

Sacul1573 Millepora

I, too, am guessing it's a bacteria, probably a version of cyano. Have you checked your phosphates? I havent seen a test result for that...

If it's cyano, reducing lights wont help. Do a search on here to deal with cyano, it more or less falls along the lines of finding the source of high nuturients (overfeeding, etc), eliminating or reducing the source, and then doing WC and running GFO/carbon and skimming to remove excess nutrients.

8. Click Here!

9. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

looks like cyano to me. try to siphon it out when you do your water changes

10. Reef_junky

Reef_junky Plankton

Yea the bad thing is from what I hear if you don't get all of it, like even the smallest piece will regrow fast...from what I've heard ill stick with water changes and bacteria treatments..I think once I get where there is a small amount left the bacteria will do the rest

Sent from my super smart phone

11. Reef_junky

Reef_junky Plankton

Well, I appreciate everyones advice and fast responses, I'm new to the site and somewhat new to fish tanks so you will see me a lot with questions and comments...thanks again and ill keep u guys posted

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

12. jbraslins

That's def cyano. I highly recommend running GFO like SeaChem PhosGuard in addition to carbon. That + not overfeeding and manual scooping will eventually get rid of it as phosphates in water are no longer available. Don't worry about getting all of it every time, just get as much as you can at the end of the day when it has grown most.