Anemone Debate

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Robman, May 21, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

I am getting tired of seeing post after post after post, of anemone after anemone being killed by powerheads, melting away, etc. Lately it seems to have increased. Anemones do not do well in MOST aquariums. Even the most experienced aquarists that keep them a few years, shorten their life considerably. Leave them in the sea. I read an article on this forum about a year ago. I tried to pull it up to post the link. I did not find it, however, I want you to type anemone in the search box on the upper right of the home page, and look at the rediculous number of posts relating to anemone failures. If you want that look in your tank, buy a Torch coral. Clowns will even host them sometimes. STOP KILLING NEMS!!!! Ok, I'm done. Any debate is welcome respectfully!

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Sometimes, it's not only the anemone that dies.....sometimes they nuke an entire tank. You're preachin' to the choir here. I fully believe that few people that have them have any business having them.

4. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I was(still am)looking into a torch after I found out how difficult they can be, & are for most people to keep.

5. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

Just curious. (and by know means is this a smart remark) but just curious as to your recommendation. how can a neme being sucked in a powerhead be avoided? and again this is an honest question to infrom anyone who may not know the answer.

My personal take is this. I believe everyone is intitled to try what they want in there tank. now with that being said, I believe a tremendous amount of effort should be placed on research first but I think it is somwhat unfair for the experts to be hard on newbies. (everyone has to be and was a newbie at some point)
    Yes we get mad when we feel people are taking a risk on sonthing that might fail in there tank but isnt that what we are all doing? every coral or fish you keep is out of its natural environment and is at RISK for some form of captive initiated fatality. deaths happen all the time. So would it be fair to say to not keep a reef tank? After all thats the same thing environmentalists feel towards reef keepers as what expert reef keepers feel towards newbs.

Dont get me to wrong I agree with you Robman, I to dont like it when somone has no clue what they are putting in there tank or how to take care of it, however on the other hand if somone makes a conscience effort and maybe a newbie takes a shot and is at higher risk than an expert I cannot tell them what to do.

(Even Brain Surgeons practiced there first brain operation on somebody)

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  6. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

No matter what, suppliers will continue removing nems and selling them. People will continue buying them. The way I see it is if I don't buy it, a complete idiot will. When taken care of properly, they do great.

People buy nems thinking they are needed for clowns and LFSs tell the buyer this as well.

IMO, this thread is kinda pointless in that noone will listen and the people who keep buying and killing nems ARE NOT on this forum. Go stand my the nem tanks at your LFS and try to inform people there...

7. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Thanks for your response...I am glad you gave your opinion. That is why I titled the thread a debate. I don't know why you seemed to think I was aiming my views at newbies, and did not mean to offend anyone. I thought I had mentioned experienced people also. The reason for this thread, was the increase lately on Anemone failures. That sparked my memory about the article I read. It is also the reason I will never try to keep a Nem. Dont get me wrong, I think they are beautiful, and would love to have one. About what you said about taking a risk with everything we add to our tank. You are correct. Everything is a risk. That being said, you dont see numerous posts about 1 peticular thing, as you do Anemones. I just believe that we as hobbyists should re-think the Anemone issue. I wish I could find that article with the factual research on them..thanks again for your post.

8. Click Here!

9. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Well their first one on a live patient. I suspect they do a ton on cadavers (gross) prior to that.

10. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

Very true. I have 3 LFS near me and not any of then will tell you (or even know) that a nem has to be in an established tank. the only way I found this info was through 3reef. I learned from that alone to always check here before making a decision on my tank.

11. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

I dis-agree with you on this. The search I did was on 3reef posts only. I dont think that anyone on this forum would purpously buy and kill a nem, that is not what I was implying. I agree with you one hundred and fifty percent that people in the LFS will keep buying, and LFS owners will keep lying. I do talk to people in the stores that are considering them, and seem to have no experience. I just wanted to open up some thought on this and get others opinions. I do not think this thread is pointless, if it brings some good honest debate, and facts to the table.:)

12. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

1 person likes this.