Anemone compatiblity with gbta? Fish Stock help

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by nanomania, Jan 5, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nanomania

nanomania Vagabond Butterfly

Im plannin on a 40g 24x24x17" lwh low tech fowlr tank. Plannning to make it an anemone only tank with maybe a few hardy softies.

Can i keep gbta with rbta? Also what other anemones can i keep with them other than rock/stone anemone.

Here is the fish list im planning on, obvioisly not all of these.

Oc clown pair or maroon clown pair
    Fire antena goby 2
    Purple antena goby 2
    Algae blenny
    Royal gramma
    2 skunk cleaner
    Brittle star
    Yellow watchman goby

Please suggest me a blue easy fish other than damsels and which wud be compatible with maroon clown if i go with it.

2. Click Here!

3. nanomania

4. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

You can have multiple bubble tip nems, there the same species so the color doesn't matter. I've never kept multiple species of nems but that's not to say it can't be done. Make sure you have enough light and good water params to house anemones. As far as a blue fish for a 40 gallon, damsels are the best choice. Look into a starki or and orange tail blue damsel.

5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

You can keep two bubble tips together in the aquarium. I think the next hardiest nem for captivity would be a carpet or long tentacle. Lots of issues with carpets though and they can be difficult to have with other nems. I would highly suggest that you go with the occy clowns vs. maroon clowns. Although beautiful, they can be very territorial and aggressive and will limit additions once they are added. I really like maxi mini nems. They are very hardy, colorful, and don't typically move much. They do not host clowns though. I can't really think of any other blue fish other than in the damsel family. I have a yellow tailed blue damsel that is peaceful and an active swimmer.

SkyFire, cody3819 and DSC reef like this.
  6. Piano10

Piano10 Aiptasia Anemone

I'm not sure about mixing different species of anemone's but I do know they require very high water quality, can move, sting other livestock, and get caught in equipment.

Maroon Clowns are pretty aggressive, as stated above. A lot of ppl have warned against them because keeping anything with them can be hard.

For the size of tank blue chromis, damsel, or a blue gudgeon dartfish are the only options

I have had a watchman goby. Cute little guy, stays in their home area mostly, not really a fish that swims around but it has character.

I love purple firefish, absolutely stunning and a very nice personality...but I wouldn't put it with a very aggressive fish.

Skunk cleaners, Luv these guys. Keep things clean including your hands:) fun to watch.
    My only gripe about them, coral feeding time, they often steal the food from the corals.

SkyFire likes this.
  7. Piano10

Piano10 Aiptasia Anemone

I have a bicolour blenny with an oc clown.
    The two swim together all the time, its kinda funny to see.

Blennies have a lot of personality, I really like blennies for that reason. Mine is a bit aggressive, goes after the clown and bites me during maintenance but other than that which I consider normal behaviour a blenny is good option

8. Click Here!

9. nanomania

Thanks alot guys,
    So ill keep gbta with rbta only, no other nems.
    Will go with oc clowns
    Is bicolour blenny a better algae eater or algae blenny?
    Can royal gramma be added?
    Damsel i guess ill be adding at the end coz iv had bad experiences with them.

I call it a low tech coz i wont have a skimmer, as for filteration, purigen reactor & phosguard and carbon in net bag changed weekly.

10. scajeo

scajeo Sea Dragon

Speaking from experience.... I have vortechs and I kept a filter over them until my nem. settled down or so I thought. I pulled the filters off the vortechs and within two days the nem. decided it didn't like where it was and while I was at work it decided to move. I got a phone call from home asking if I bought an auto feeder because the tank looked like I overfed it with frozen mysis. Nem. was nowhere to be found. It was shredded by one of the vortechs. Destroyed my tank! It's been almost 6 months since that happened and I'm finally.. FINALLY. getting things back under control. My advice, cover any internal pumps and KEEP them covered if you keep nems.

SkyFire, Piano10 and nanomania like this.
  11. nanomania

well then shud i never keem nems? Other than in sump in future?

12. scajeo

scajeo Sea Dragon

Nope I"m not saying that... just make sure you cover your pumps in your DT and understand that they move around sometimes a lot and can sting anything in its path. I'll get another nem. but I'll be much more careful this time around.

Piano10 and SkyFire like this.