Anemone Compatability

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by OldandNew, Dec 14, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. OldandNew

OldandNew Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Has anyone doen an anemone compatability chart? Can someone direct me to it?

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

4. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

5. Craig Manoukian

Have you had a chance to check the article out Ray?

6. OldandNew

Yes, I read that paper. It was good, informative. However while it discussed the fish/anemone compatability, that is not what I was asking. Sorry if I didn't make myself clear.

What I would like to know is the compatibility potential of two different anemone, or basically if I have one type of anemone, and I have a big enough tank, can I have a different anemone, and what kind can I have?

The question arises from the reading. I read that people have introduced a second anemone into a tank only to have the first anemone shrink away in horror and die in deep dispare.

I wish to avoid this, but would like to know specifically if I can keep a carpet anemone and a BTA in the same 110 gal tank. The carpet for Percs or false Percs and the BTA for a maroon, which I dearly love. I also like anemones. I would try to keep them on opposite ends of the tank.

Cheers,
    Ray

7. Craig Manoukian

Unfortunately I think you would have major territorial disputes by mixing Clown Fish. Maroons are very aggressive. Multiple anemones can be kept but the wild card is the fish.

8. Click Here!

9. OldandNew

I was hoping that the distant ends of a 5 foot tank woudl be enough to give each enough teritory. Especially since a carpet anemony is a Pec rug and a BTA is a maroon rug.

I'm more concerned about the anemones. Does anyone know if the two comaptable, a carpet and a BTA, in a 110 gal tank?

Maybe someone would like to run a poll to list compatibilities and non-compatabilities in our collective experience. That would be a start to a matrix. I don't feel I have enough experience Karma to lead such a troll for knowledge. Mabe one of the more saged would wish to take on the question of anemone/anemone compatibility.

Cheers,
    Ray

Cheers,
    Ray

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

This is one of those situations where size doesn't matter  :)  You might...might get lucky and the fish won't fight but there's only one way to test that.  The fact that the clowns will each have their own anemone means that they will only become more territorial.

I've kept both carpets and BTAs in my tank with no problems.  I have recently returned the carpet to my lfs though because it ate too many of my fish and inverts.  

I don't believe that any anemone will "get along" with another one, even if they are of the same species.  It's a dog eat dog world out there and anemones have to fight and compete for space and survival just like corals do  :)  If the anemones have enough room to spread themselves out, however, they should get along just fine.

11. OldandNew

<<If the anemones have enough room to spread themselves out, however, they should get along just fine. >>

Oh, amcarrig, you have no idea how enlightening that commet is. I piacked up an unidentified carpet from one of the local Jakarta fish people (for $2.20) and ploped him into the tank. I did not do this without some, albeit maybe not enough, forethought. AFTER getting this small maybe 6 inch carpet, did I read that carpets do NOT mount on rocks but like the beach (that being the sand). The tank being only 18 inches wide and rock piled so that there is a mound in the center with fish lanes on the outer edges, there is NOT a lot of beach for him.

He just moved to a ne location that he is now checking out. If he moves out of this space I will make space for him by piling up some rock exposing some beach.

I like anemones. I didn't know until I did some reading that we may be doing them harm. But he is better off with me than in that local dealer's tank. Anyway, I want him to find a home in the tank before I get the bta.

I just want to know if anyone has had problems with BTAs and Carpets. I cannot be sure of the species, but it is a greyish green, if that helps. The "carpet" runs thick almost to the mouth. No real color difference at the mouth. This guy had a few dozen so I picked what I felt would fit in my tank and would keep one or two pecs happy.

Cheers,
    Ray

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Only $2.20 for a carpet? I'm not too jealous :)

As far as some people are concerned, we are doing harm to every animal in our tanks that aren't captive bred or propogated. I wouldn't let the guilt of putting an anemone in your tank bother you much :)

Like I said earlier, I did not have a problem mixing BTAs and carpet anemones. As you mentioned, carpets tend to stay on the sandbed and BTAs tend to stay on the rockwork so I doubt that they'll have an opportunity to tangle :)