Anemone behavior???

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by CowboyUp, Jan 18, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CowboyUp

CowboyUp Fire Worm

:-/ I was wondering about Anemone behavior. I have a Long Tenacle that keeps sucking himself completely in, leaving his big red body as a ball! It does this a few times a day. I fed it a piece of shrimp the other day and it got really huge! Sort of blew up like a balloon. Is this behavior normal? Is it trying to tell me that it's hungry again by sucking in or what?

Thanks for any and all info.

Happy reefing,

John :p

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Anenomes display a very wide pattern of behavior.  I am not specifically familiar with LTAs but my BTA has exhibited similar behavior.

This morning my BTA was completely withdrawn into its body cavity, but this afternoon it is filled with water and looks very nice.  My BTA is attached to a rock and I believe the LTAs prefer a gravel or course sand substrate.

HTH John

4. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

IMHO, your experiencing its feeding behavour. Does it roll around when this happens, or is it still sucked onto the rock?

5. CowboyUp

CowboyUp Fire Worm

It all depends. 30minutes ago it was just like normal. Big, full, and beautiful. Now it is all sunken in again and attached to a rock. Sometimes he sucks on the glass, and other times the sand. Anemones are new to me, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't trying to kick the bucket! He has no problem eating. I slip him a piece of shrimp every 3 to 4 days and he gulps it right down!

Thanks for the reply,

CowboyUp [smiley=cowboy.gif]

6. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

I have a spotted LTA and he is buried in the sand I have a deep sand bed 3.5- 4.0 inches and if I look up from under the stand I can see his foot on the glass!
    He dose close right up in a ball 1 or 2 times a day I think thats just what they do getting rid of stale water and taking in new water I feed him every other day.
    I feed a variety of foods frozen, freeze dried, and if I'm tring to get out of the house quick I might even tied them over with flake

7. CowboyUp

CowboyUp Fire Worm

Thanks for the info Mason! I have found that if he stays like that most of the day he's hungry. I'll feed him and then he looks really good for a few days.

CowboyUp [smiley=cowboy.gif]