...And Another Wierd Hitchiker

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by CODEE111, Jun 24, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CODEE111

CODEE111 Peppermint Shrimp

Ok...so I'm getting some really odd hitchikers in my tank.

Here is a picture of another odd hitchhiker I found this morning.

Look directly to the right and and down a little from the center mushroom. I started noticing clear tentacles attached to my rocks. If you look closely, you can see several.

This morning while trying to get a good picture of my new hitchiker, I noticed this weird critter. She looks like there is a tentacle that leads into a snowflake looking thing.

Thought I would share it with my 3Reef friends.

:stars:I'm either doing something right....or everything is totally amiss.:stars:

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

looks like a beneficial filter feeder - feather duster.

good to have IMO.

4. CODEE111

Is he actually attached to the tentacle? If so, I have a lot of these.

5. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Should be growing out of the rock. I believe the tentacle-looking thing is another type of sponge.

6. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

7. CODEE111

You're right, I found the pictures of the Hydroid and one of them is very similar to mine.

First I thought it came in on my coral...now I'm wondering if it came in with the pods and the Pytoplanckton it was shipped with. Possible right?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  8. Click Here!

9. scadsobees

scadsobees Fire Shrimp

Could also be a type of corynactis or pseudocorynactis (i'm not sure which is which ) but a web search can show up some better pics. They look like a fingernail size clear anemone, I have some that only spread out at night and are hard to see because they are clear.

10. CODEE111

I guess the next time I stay up late, I need to pay close attention to what is going on in my tank. I haven't done it it a little while.

11. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

12. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Get yourself a red LED flash light or a couple of red filters for a regular flash light and start looking. Considering the amount of day time hitchhikers you have, I bet that if you look during night time you'll find a lot more.
    Specially since the rocks are collected during the day for the most of it, and that is when the nocturnal hitchhikers are sleeping inside the rock's holes and crevices. Go for it! it'll be fun to discover them!
    The tentacles look a bit like the vents on a sponge, but I never saw them extending like that without a considerable amount of sponge growth around it. Tentacles by itself... maybe something else than a sponge. I'll tag along to see what it is, once we find an answer.