An Experiment in SPS vitality/hardiness U.D. 01-24

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by reefmonkey, Oct 27, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

This is an idea I got today while fragging my Red Hycinanth Birdsnest to spread it around and fill out some blah spots. It's not a scientific experiment by any means but just a way to for me to see how hardy SPS can be.

The first cutting dropped into the Lugols cup a little hard and broke 2 tips clean off. They were under 1/8" long and at first I was just going to dump them down the drain with the solution. After looking with a magnifying glass I realized they both had good flesh and polyps and weren't just growth tips so I decided to mount them on a piece of rubble and see if they would grow out. They are kind of hard to see in the pic.

[​IMG]

The bigger frag was put on the same rock Just in case LOL. I'm confident it will grow out.
    [​IMG]

P.aced into the tank you can see them a little better. The bigger of the tips is below the large frag on the white rock, down and just left. The smaller is just to the right of the bigger tip. The frag in the background is what got this whole ball rolling lol and is on an entirely different piece of rock.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. newtosalt

newtosalt Spaghetti Worm

that will be awesome if they grow hope every thing works out =)

1 person likes this.
  4. Indiana Boy

Indiana Boy Coral Banded Shrimp

thats pretty neat, reefmonkey, i was at my friends and he was trying to catch a clowfish to sell to a customer and accidentally broke a large shelving monti into several small pieces. he left them in his tank and they have lived to become individuals.

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Nice idea, this will be cool to see how it goes.

1 person likes this.
  6. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

I'll keep it updated for a few months. If I didn't do much damage to the flesh with my tweezers they should make it. I don't see any reason why not. Well the littler tip will be the real prize if it lives, it's more than 1/2 covered in glue. I got the drop a little large lol

7. newtosalt

newtosalt Spaghetti Worm

lol after reading this i went home and the rock my monta is on fell and a branch on my coral cracked i went and mounted it its still alive its an 1/8 inch its tiny

8. Click Here!

9. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

The tinier of the two is a goner already. I think it was the glue and to much of it covered. But the big one has visible pe.

LOL newtosalt!

10. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

they may grow, i have seen a guy frag a certain sps into the dimensions of dimes.

11. newtosalt

newtosalt Spaghetti Worm

but how fast do you sps grow in the tank faster than in the wild?

12. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

In stable parameters that Red Hyancinth grows like a weed ime. The colony I fragged has been in my system less than 6 months.