An Easy To Use Tunze Mount

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Matt Rogers, Oct 20, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

If you own the Tunze Osmomot or Osmolator Universal, you may appreciate this setup because you know what a pain the Tunze mounts are on American tanks.

When the pump on my Osmomot got kalked up and my water level went down, I started thinking. The Osmomot is more accurate than the Universal, but relies on a little pump that as shown will need maintenance at some point.

The sensors inside the Osmomot box are the same as the Universal, so I started thinking if I could come up with a mount, it would be a safer setup, albiet slightly less accurate. I realized the safety thing outweighed a little hit in accuracy so I started tinkering.

Recently I received the $17.99 Hagen Natural Plant System Co2 injector for my freshwater plant tank and marveled at the awsome adjustable bracket it came with:

[​IMG]

Once I realized the high water float slipped in the middle slot perfectly I was off to the races.

[​IMG]

I pinched the evap sensor cable on the side and it held really well, but then I realized the sensor wouldn't hang completely vertical so after some head scratching I pulled out my bag of random aquarium hose and cut a piece the length of the bracket to the water level. Then I made a vertical cut so I could get it around the sensor cable. After this, I just had to take the slack out of the sensor cable, repinch it on the mount while getting the hose up against the mount so that the sensor wouldn't drift and would stay vertical.

[​IMG]

I couldn't believe it actually worked. It's a heck of a lot easier to deal with as the mount can quickly be loosened and moved if need be. It's also more compact.

Just thought I'd share in case someone is sick of playing with the stock Tunze mount. I'm psyched!  
    [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

matt

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Every nice Matt. That Hegan Bracket looks similar to the Hegan Power Head hangers is it?
    I guess that would be the difference between Osmomot and Osmolator as the one I have came with a your typical Tunze mounting hardware and I was able to make it work.

Jason

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Not sure if it's the same bracket.
    As I recall, you cut the trim of the tank to make the Tunze one work right? What did you use? A hack saw?

5. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Nice Matt This info may come in very handy for me ;) as I seem to have come upon one by some lucky chance ;D
    ........................................................... John

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

That's right John! ;D

If you have a baffle in your sump, you probably won't need it. But good to know.