Amyloodinium or Brooklynella

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by pavelow360, Oct 23, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pavelow360

pavelow360 Feather Duster

Well, finished quarantining an occellaris clown for just over 3 weeks and added him to my tank...I have been wanting to replace my QT with a better tank to be able to observe fish better but haven't. This has become my down fall. Once in the DT, I noticed his color is not as vibrant as the partner that I have in there and he appeared to have a slight white coating which cleared up a bit after a day. Today the white coating is very apparent and his breathing is accelerated. I am preparing to do a freshwater dip. I am not sure which route to take. I also have some medications that may be effective to include the general cure buy api and form 3 and meth blue. I live in Japan and it will be a pain, but I am also just considering trying to return him, he was something like $50 since he was wild caught from Okinawa. I do not know if returning him would mater, as he probably infected the other clown and I will end up having to treat him to. I know what my mistakes were,(QT time not long enough & observation tank not sufficient). I need to act fast but do not want to panic and compound my situation in anyway. Opinions on treatment options are welcome.

Note, I would like to use copper but all medications here are in Japanese and I do not have the time to get this translated, the same goes for the test kits. So this is why I am limited to the things I have on hand.

2. Click Here!

3. pavelow360

FW dip and Meth Blue

Performed the FW dip on the occellaris and a hawkfish that was in the QT tank... both seemed to do well... dipped them for about 5 minutes in a 2 gallon container with airstone and PH adjusted/ heated water.

I am not sure about the PH test as it was FW... and I only have a saltwater test kit. I believe they are different.

I may start a treatment of metronadizole tomorrow and do another FW dip the day after that. For now, I am just monitoring

Anyone with experience with this can chime in at any time...lol

EDIT: I decided to start the metronadizole now. Also, the occellaris is not doing well at all... he seems to be in a panic... jerking and swimming fast but in one place and flipping around back and forth. The coating is not flaking off, just seems to be the same as before the dip. I don't think he will make it through the night.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Can you get any formalin ?

5. pavelow360

I have some formalin 3 on hand... do you recommend this ?

I woke up today to see J Nimo dead in the QT but the hawk fish acts like nothing happened... lol

I treated him as well. I SHOULD treat the other clown as well but I have never had any luck with these FW dips.

Do you think I should put the other clown in a form 3 bath as a precaution?

6. pavelow360

some pix

Attached Files:

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Because it sounds like a verifed case of Brookynella. I would for sure go with the formalin, it is a nasty disease that can spread so quickly and can kill rather quickly. Here is a link for the formalin bath, just some general direction. Gool luck and let us know how it turns out.

How To Treat Ich Diseased Fish with Formalin

8. Click Here!

9. pavelow360

Uncle Hawk

Well the hawk fish that was exposed to the clown fish has finally succumb to the disease. The other clown that is in the main tank that was exposed for 3 days or so is still healthy and shows no sign of problems at this time. I have yet to try the formalin.