Amphipods, good, bad, ugly?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Chaos66, Nov 2, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Chaos66

Chaos66 Plankton

So I've been just working on gathering and placing corals on my 28gal nano. Nothing but a small cleaning crew (hermits, and snails) and a fire shrimp in the tank. Started with a healthy amount of naturally accurring amphipods, but there seems to be a ton of them now.
    Are they good? bad? and wasn't planning on adding fish for another month or so but thinking I may need to throw in a mandarin goby or something to control the population?
    Help?

2. Click Here!

3. erik

erik Spaghetti Worm

They are really good for your tank. And definitely dont get a mandarin just to control the population... most fish eat amphipods, if there really is an excessive amount then most fish should take care of it

4. Chaos66

Chaos66 Plankton

Gotcha, so besides being a tiny bit unsightly, they are a good sign?

5. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

How old is the tank? They will likely decline in numbers as available food is used up. You will see huge quantities of different things until the tank reaches its balance.

posted with tapatalk please ignore bad spelling and grammar

6. Chaos66

Chaos66 Plankton

Tank went through a move from apt to another. So its been reestablished for about 5 months... trust me I've seen a ton of different things happen in this tank. In its first run I even had these jellyfish looking like things... Even LFS couldn't figure out where this lil hitchhiker came from.

So pods, leave em be till I start stocking fish?

7. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

Oh gotcha. I thought it might have been a new tank since you don't have fish. Yeah leave them, they won't reach plague proportion and do a lot of good.

posted with tapatalk please ignore bad spelling and grammar

8. Click Here!

9. rocketmandb

rocketmandb Ocellaris Clown

Definitely leave them (and feed them) and the first fish you put in there will have a field day.

10. Chaos66

Chaos66 Plankton

Cool Deal. Thanks everybody, and I'm assuming they are coral safe? I see the bigger ones crawling around the clam. No need to worry?

11. rocketmandb

rocketmandb Ocellaris Clown

No need to worry about amphipods. Most people would love to have as many as you do swarming around.