Unresolved Amphipods eating my zoanthids !!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Magnus, Aug 4, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Adult amphipods are way too big for Mandarins, and they come out at night when wrasses are sleeping. I've had the same thing happen with acans that were growing and healthy. The amphipods curl up around a piece of the flesh, then twist around until it comes off. Now that I feed the whole tank, the amphipods have a food source rather than the coral. I think your zoa's would not be their first choice in food.

2. Click Here!

3. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

The frag I had was healthy before the pods got a hold of it. That was pic I posted was a day or two later when I found out the culprits and caught "Red Clawed", lmao!

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Sorry to hear that. I have a Yellow Wrasse they grow larger than a 6 line and without the attitude. Bright yellow can't miss 'em. But its in the sand when the daylights go off.

5. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Yeah, that's the bad thing. My wife would like a mandarin, and honestly, I would like one too. Wrasses are also very cool, but the mandarin is more impressive.. or majestic if you will.

The problem is exactly what you guys mentioned... either one of these fish will hit the sack when the light are off, and the amphipods feast on my corals.

I don't know what to do. Maybe I will have to let them do what they're doing and watch it all happen in front of my eyes. :(

6. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

dip them, they are probably stressed, and that is why the pods can take advantage of them. besides pods hate dips for the most part. i like the coral rx and revive stuff. been using it for a few weeks, and I think it is a pretty good product. Zoas don't seem bothered by it at all.

7. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Thanks, John! I kept an eye on the frags last night, but not as close as I was hoping. But I was looking every now and then for a few hours, between 12 am and 2am, no pods on it.

This morning I did not notice any changes on the frags that were attacked.... I had to put them in the sand instead of on the rock. I think the amphipods stay away from the sand since it is very bright under actinic and makes them an easier target?

I'll keep watching them.

As far as dipping goes, I will have to buy something for this purpose. If I give them a dip and then place them back, wouldn't more pods come along from the rocks? I mean, they live in my tank and apparently they only went to the frags to eat. Maybe some of that medicine stays on the coral and repels amphipods?

Thanks for your input!