"Ammonia" why

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by kukulkan, Dec 10, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

what type of container are you mixing your saltwater in? How long is it sitting after mixing, powerhead?

The reason I asked is I had some saltwater in a regular plastic trashcan (not the Brute ones) left over from when I filled up the tank. I did not have a powerhead in iit for a couple weeks, threw one in there to reoxygenate etc. Tested the nitrates on a whim and they were bright red. The only thing I could think of is since I did not have the proper container and no power head to circulate, the trashcan leached out into the water and actually cycled.

have your lfs test the water sample for you

2. Click Here!

3. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Sounds to me as if you have a bad batch of salt and the test kit is probably accurate. Take both the tank water and fresh make-up water to the LFS to be tested.

What are your readings on your tank parameters? Full spectrum please – and how old is this tank and what have you done to it? I am curious as to what you can test for and what the results are along with the tank history – since it’s a young set up

I am slightly concerned with your statement
    Can you tell us why you have doubt?

4. kukulkan

kukulkan Astrea Snail

I used a 29g tank that I have available with the lit, I used a heater and a powerhead to mix the salt it mix for about 3 hrs. my parameters are
    Nitrate 0
    Nitritie 0
    PH 8.1
    Ammonia 0.25
    KH 8.4
    dKH 2.98

the tank was an established tank for about 2 yrs, then I removed all rock due to algae infestation and xenia infestation, I scrubbed it let it sit for a day place it back along with new sand and I did left some old sand to help the cycle, so it went to a new cycle, I got ammonia spike, then nitrites and nitrates , got diatoms or cyano bloom, then everything drop I add a CUC a then a clown with in few days since then ammonia hasn't drop, so it is been little more than 2 weeks.

5. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

I have been using API test kits for years. Do you guys know something I dont? What do you use? thnx

6. Nor_Cal_Guy

Nor_Cal_Guy Gigas Clam

They work for general range of readings, however they aren't as precise as other kits available in my experience.

7. kukulkan

kukulkan Astrea Snail

Ammonia finally drop to "0"
    Thanks all for help