Ammonia testing

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by JeridJohnson, Jan 2, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JeridJohnson

JeridJohnson Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

my tank has been set up (in my house) for about 1.5 weeks.. This tank was moved from a friends house where it ran for at least 1 year. When doing the move I replaced 35 gal of the water with fresh. I let it run a couple days and then began testing.

Initial ammonia tests showed 0.25. Nitrite/Nitrate both 0. pH 8.2, temp 76*.
    Today's test: ammonia 0.25, Nitrite/Nitrate both 0, ph 8.2, temp 79.5*

I have been doing a lot of tweaks to the tank since I moved it in and they are as follows:
    Removed canister filter.
    Added AquaC Remora skimmer with maxi jet 1200
    Removed bio-balls and sponge media from sump.
    Added maxi jet 1200 PH to the tank.
    added 14lbs of LR after initial setup..

50 gal with approx 40lbs LR. There are about 4 inches of fish in the tank and a cleaner shrimp.

Now to my question/s.. If the ammonia level is at 0.25 shouldnt I see some Nitrite/Nitrate readings? Is the ammonia test subject to error if not shaken vigorusly enough and/or agents not added quickly enough? Could the freequent disruption to the system over the last week be a factor? Could the test kit be wrong? I am using the Red Sea master marine test kit.

Thanks,
    Jerid

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

If you removed the bioballs, you removed a lot of bacteria from the system so the ammonia is a result of your tank having a mini cycle. If you're done rearranging stuff and adding equipment, leave the tank be for a few weeks and you should see nitrite and nitrate levels rise and fall as well.

4. APC

APC Gigas Clam

Agreed. It may take a few days for the Nitrite and then nitrate appear. If the tank is really healty, you may not notice it at all. However, the ammonia needs to be down to 0. So give the tank a little time to reestablish itself.

Test kits are prone to error (especially human error - too many drops, too big/small a sample, etc.) Also you may want to check the age of the test kit. Many expire after time.

5. JeridJohnson

JeridJohnson Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

thanks for the replies guys..

The test kit is very new. I think I might get a second brand test for ammonia just for peace of mind.

I'll leave it be for a while and test periodically.

6. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

The aqua C Remora is a good skimmer, however, I wouldn't get rid of the cannister filter. The canister is an added waste remover as well as a biological filter if you add the noodles or the grass(like grass at Easter for the Easter baskets) added are for bacteria to grow.!
    Be careful as to not do to much to your tank at once! Do it slowly over time. This is twofold: first,you are able to see if each thing you are doing is successful or not. Lastly, you don't want to put stress on the living things in your tank!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!