Ammonia Spike

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Bangbang, Mar 18, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Wrassman

Wrassman Peppermint Shrimp

Well, rather than re-write all the stuff I wrote on canister filters just a few days ago, I will just provide you with a link.  That will tell you how I now use canister filters as additional bio-logical filters, with the added bonus of being able to throw a bag of carbon, or a bag of phosphate sponge on there for a day of two.

I don't like using carbon or phosphate sponges more than a day or two, because they strip your tank of too much of the "good stuff" that your tank needs to stay healthy.  The only time you need to use a carbon filter is after a medication, and you want to pull the stuff out, or when your water starts smelling funky or looking cloudy or yellow.  Then, use carbon for a few days and it wiill pull the nasty stuff out (in the meantime, use your free time to locate what is fouling your tank).

You shouldn't need nitrate sponges, aslong as you have plenty of live rock.  Same with phosphate sponges, though on occasion some tap water can find it's way into your tank. [smiley=uhoh2.gif]  If you suspect that you have tap water in  your tank, running phosphate sponge for a day or two will get it out.  Any more than that, and you are just leaching the phosphates back into your tank.  BE SURE AND READ YOUR LABELS ON ALL FILTER MEDIA.  The labels will tell you how to best use the filter media.

I just don't like powerflters because no one keeps them clean enough -- and they just begin to add nitrates back into the system.

I hope this helps you, Bangbang.  Reefkeeping is more of an art than a science.  You have to find a system that works for YOU!!

Edit: Spelling [smiley=stupid.gif]