Ammonia Spike

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Bangbang, Mar 18, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bangbang

Bangbang Plankton

[quote author=stevem650 link=board=General;num=1048011819;start=0#9 date=03/18/03 at 17:27:14]BangBang......You said that you have 1 inch per 4 gal. of fish. You might  have  to much fish in that tank. I would only keep about 4 fish in a 29gal. It will also depend on the size of the fish.[/quote]

Hi Steven.....my tank is overstocked. I am setting up a 85 gallon right now to place at two of these fish in. One has ovegrown the tank. I hesitate to tell ya the specifics to keep the flames to a minimum. LOL.. ;D

2. Click Here!

3. Bangbang

Bangbang Plankton

[quote author=stevem650 link=board=General;num=1048011819;start=0#9 date=03/18/03 at 17:27:14]BangBang......You said that you have 1 inch per 4 gal. of fish. You might  have  to much fish in that tank. I would only keep about 4 fish in a 29gal. It will also depend on the size of the fish.[/quote]

Hi Steven.....my tank is overstocked. I am setting up a 85 gallon right now to place at two of these fish in. One has ovegrown the tank. I hesitate to tell ya the specifics to keep the flames to a minimum. LOL.. ;D

4. Wrassman

Wrassman Peppermint Shrimp

Hey Bangbang,

My 58g is heavily overstocked too, so don't let that be a problem for you. No one is going to flame you. If you knew how overstocked my 58g was you'd be laughing ;D

If you have to set up another tank for one of the fish, so be it. I have to set up a FOWLR to keep one of my fish too. Maybe two, we'll see how much one calms down when I move the main instigator out. ;D

Don't be afraid to post the TRUTH, man. That is what we are all about here. If we don't tell the TRUTH, then we will never be alble to get to the root issues fo our problems. Once again, please, try to tell the truth...

5. lzb3

lzb3 Astrea Snail

No flames....but I am curious about which fish you have in there....you said that they have only been in there for 6 months or so. I am of the opinion that most small-medium size reef fish could stand a little crowding for 5 or 6 months!

I only ask what kind of fish, because I really like to learn about different species and how they live with each other. I am in the process of setting up a large system and am trying to consider all the fishy possibilities.

Do tell,

Elizabeth:)

6. Bangbang

Bangbang Plankton

[quote author=Wrassman link=board=General;num=1048011819;start=0#12 date=03/18/03 at 18:22:58]Hey Bangbang,

My 58g is heavily overstocked too, so don't let that be a problem for you.  No one is going to flame you.  If you knew how overstocked my 58g was you'd be laughing ;D

If you have to set up another tank for one of the fish, so be it.  I have to set up a FOWLR to keep one of my fish too.  Maybe two, we'll see how much one calms down when I move the main instigator out.  ;D

Don't be afraid to post the TRUTH, man.  That is what we are all about here.  If we don't tell the TRUTH, then we will never be alble to get to the root issues fo our problems.  Once again, please, try to tell the truth...[/quote]

I love your attitude and am quickly defecting to this forum. Here goes the truth. LOL I have a Percula,Royal Gramma,3 inch Foxface,Dwarf Hawk,8 inch Snowflake Eel,Coral Banded Shrimp,3 1" Turbos,Fightin Conch,Emerald Crab,Several small hermits,2 Peppermint Shrimps(have not seen them in a week),Red Thorny Star(kind of sluggish since the spike),and some Mushroom Rock.

7. lzb3

lzb3 Astrea Snail

With the exception of the foxface and the mooray (both fairly large waste producers) you don't sound overcrowded at all. And actuall if everyone is still fairly little, you are probably still okay. The foxface and the mooray...especially the mooray, will grow pretty quickly. I don;t know if this observation is based in scientific fact, but my observations have led me to think that the meat eaters get bigger and at a faster pace.....JMO. I am assuming that the new tank is for the mooray...he is probably one of the suspects for the dissappearing shrimp....the mooray and the hawk......your guess is as good as mine!

Thanks for sharing!

Elizabeth

8. Click Here!

9. Bangbang

Bangbang Plankton

[quote author=lzb3 link=board=General;num=1048011819;start=15#15 date=03/19/03 at 17:46:26]With the exception of the foxface and the mooray (both fairly large waste producers) you don't sound overcrowded at all. And actuall if everyone is still fairly little, you are probably still okay. The foxface and the mooray...especially the mooray, will grow pretty quickly. I don;t know if this observation is based in scientific fact, but my observations have led me to think that the meat eaters get bigger and at a faster pace.....JMO. I am assuming that the new tank is for the mooray...he is probably one of the suspects for the dissappearing shrimp....the mooray and the hawk......your guess is as good as mine!

Thanks for sharing!

Elizabeth[/quote]

Hi Elizabeth...................I am settin up the New Tank for my Fox and the Eel. I am also going to get a Volitan Lion for it. I still have not seen my Peppermints. Probably the Eel. My Hawk is too small...I think? My Nitrates have dropped to 0 and Ammonia has dropped to .25 since last night. I had added some cured and cultured liverock to increase biological filtration. I am still running two skimmers and everything seems good so far. No deaths and no distress noted. My shrooms opened up nicely today and my Star is picken up a little speed. LOL My new Turbos's have demolished my algae population(except the encrustin stuff) and I think that had caused some problems too.

10. Bangbang

Bangbang Plankton

I have added 3.5 pounds of cultured and cured Liverock from two different reef tanks during the last 3 days. Ammonia 0...Nitrites 0....Nitrates 0..........PH 8.2. All my inhabitants except one Peppermint Shrimp are accounted for and doing very well. My Percula is much more active today. I will continue to keep testing every day for another week. I have returned to regular feedings and continue to run the second skimmer for now. It is working very well and is the New Improved Seaclone 150. I am very happy with it and going to use it on my 85 gallon along with a Aquaclear 500 powerfilter. I am pickin up my substrate now. Then I just need to pick up my tank and stand. My wife is goin to freak! LOL!

11. Wrassman

Wrassman Peppermint Shrimp

Hey Bangbang,

Glad to hear things are going better for your tank now. I would add a couple more pounds of live rock, until I added at least 5 or 6 lbs total. This will do wonders for your tank (trust me on this [smiley=thumbs_up1.gif]).

You may not see any more spikes, espcially if you continue to run two skimmers. I would expect a "little die-off" from your new live rock, which would register as a small ammonia spike. But with two skimmers running, you may not see it at all. ;D

I'm not a fan of powerfilters, so I won't even comment on that, except to say that if it was my system, I would get a canister. 8)

[glow=blue, 3, 300]Good Luck!!! And Happy Reefing!!!![/glow]​

12. Bangbang

Bangbang Plankton

I have an Eheim Canister ......I used it on my 29 gallon but I realy did not like it because I could not tell if it was clogged at a quick glance as I can do with the powerfilter. I wsas having a litlle bit of a ph problem (was dropping to 7.6) I was thinking that the caister was pumpin acidic water into the tank. I have not had a problem since I removed it a couple months ago. Why don't you like the Powerfilters. They are so easy to maintain and restart if needed. I use it primarilyt for carbon and phosphate sponge that I change every two weeks.