Ammonia Reading High after 98% water change

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Mobalized, Dec 14, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

so using the same test kit, you're reading 0 Ammo from one tank, and high lvls from the qt? Assuming the test kit is good, you're not going to get different readings. is there any live rock in the qt? or any type of filter media at all?

2. Click Here!

3. Mobalized

Mobalized Teardrop Maxima Clam

I seem to have located part of the problem... Kind of. But I cannot figure out the actual cause. I started testing water from the start of the process til the end. Tap water = 0 ammonia // ro water = 0 ammonia // rodi water = 0 ammonia // rodi water in storage container = 0 ammonia // water in 5 gallon mix buckets = 0<, <.25 The buckets are the same ones I have always used, they are pickle buckets that have been washed with water and vinegar. I will attempt getting a new bucket to try that. Any other ideas?

4. RJT

RJT Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

That could be part of the problem. But don't you use the same bucket to put water in the other tanks that doesn't have any ammonia readings?

5. Mobalized

That would be correct, my assumption is it gets diluted in a lot more water. Plus those tanks have the ability to process the ammonia much faster, and also the QT gets constant water changes so I just keep replenishing the ammonia. Just my theory. I still do not know how the buckets could be leaching ammonia though.

6. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

I think just for cycle sake, you may want to think about placing a piece of live rock into the QT, that way it has the ability to process ammonia or at least house the bacteria needed when your not using it. Also, it isn't a bad idea during prolonged fishless times to toss a bit of food into the water to feed the bacteria. That way you keep the QT in as just a "live" condition as you do your DT.

7. Mobalized

Still I can't really grasp where the ammonia is being introduced. Or more so how.

8. Click Here!

9. RJT

RJT Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Post a pic of your tank and filtration system

10. Mobalized

No need I have located the original source of ammonia.
    For anyone who may be interested the API test is indicating 0< and <.25 ppm of ammonia for freshly mixed instant ocean salt. After hours and hours of testing different water samples and water samples against one another here is what I have.

Tap water 0ppm ammonia, ro water 0ppm ammonia, rodi 0ppm ammonia, rodi water in storage container 0ppm ammonia, rodi water mixed with reef crystals (1.025 salinity sample taken after 5 mins) slight green tinge 0< /<.25, tank water in 90g 0ppm ammonia, tank water in 29g 0ppm ammonia, ammonia in 2 qt's .25.
    My conclusion, slight amounts of ammonia are being introduced to the 2 qt tanks by new water which do not have the capability to process the slight amount of ammonia which accumulates with the fish produced ammonia. Hope this makes sense.