Ammonia in Freshly mixed Saltwater!

Discussion in 'Salt' started by rllh20, Apr 23, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rllh20

rllh20 Guest

Here is the problem: My freshly mixed saltwater has ammonia (0.50ppm)

1. I thought it was my water so....I tested my water. No ammonia present. I tried RO water and purified distilled water, no ammonia.
    2. I put that water in my bucket and tested it thinking it could be my bucket, still no ammonia.
    3. I put my pump in the bucket with my water to see if it was getting ammonia from my pump, still no ammonia.
    4. I put the Instant Ocean salt mix in the water and instantly the ammonia shot up.
    5. I let the water sit for 24 hours w/pump, still had ammonia, then for 2 days still ammonia, etc. I did the same thing but stirred it by hand, still had ammonia.
    6. I thought, maybe it is my API liquid test kit that was bad. So I tested table salt for ammonia, it showed ammonia which indicates the test are working. Also, it does not show ammonia in the pure RO water, but does after mixing salt, so that should also mean the test kit is working.
    7. I thought the salt was bad, even though it was Instant Ocean (a highly reputable brand) so I bought another bag of salt. I tried that salt, but still got ammonia when I mixed the salt in with the water.

Why in the world is this happening? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Click Here!

3. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I have no idea what to tell you here. I would like to know what others suggest as well though. Have you had your LFS test your fresh saltwater for ammonia?

4. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

Many of my friends suggested the aeration of freshly mixed salt water. I usually do this with a Sicce skimmer pump. Prior to that I used to do it with a Maxijet and the venturi attatchment. I have never had a problem using this method. Then again, I don't test for ammonia. This is just the way I was taught to mix saltwater and have stuck with it for 10+ years. I won't lie though, I sometimes don't take the time to aerate and just mix with a couple large pumps for 24 hours.

5. Moxtrain

Moxtrain Peppermint Shrimp

I'd try a different test kit or just truck some down to your LFS and have them test your new water for you and see if your results match.

6. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

He's already done the controls for the test kit. The only variable that tests ammonia seems tro be the IO salt!! Taking his water to the lfs and having them test it is pointless at this point- pun intended.
    He has already checked and rechecked, and used controls.

Very nice objective data actually!

NOW, to test MY salt! Wow, never thought of testing it.
    Actually, just remembered I don't have an ammonia test kit, only nitrate, Phos, Ca+, KH, and Mg.
    Maybe I'll get one soon and test as well.

Please people, test yours if you have it, please and post results here!!

7. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Small amounts of ammonia is not unusual in salt mix.

8. Click Here!

9. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

+1

Also, 0.5 ppm in the traditional 10 - 25% WC for an established tank would be consumed by the bio-filter as quickly as it's added to the DT.

10. rllh20

rllh20 Guest

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will take it to the LFS but I really don't expect it to be much different but I will let you all know. I am aware that salt has some ammonia in it, but not .5ppm, does it? Plus, any trace of ammonia is harmful to reefs and fish. If 0 trace of ammonia is possible then you should be able to acquire 0 trace ammonia in the freshly mixed saltwater (unless you have to be at the mercy of your tank to filter it out). I would be curious, along with Todd_Sails, to see others freshly mixed saltwater results to see if I am alone or not. Thanks again for the replies!

11. Moxtrain

Moxtrain Peppermint Shrimp

I've heard this in multiple threads. It's not entirely uncommon. I've never heard of it contributing to an overall tank ammonia increase.

12. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

Especially in newly mixed salt. Which is why you need to let it run for a while.