Am i ready for SPS?

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Puffer Chick, Dec 18, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

i usually test after my water changes, but today i decided to test before.

Here is what my readings showed me:
    Calcium-360
    Alkalinity- 143.2
    Phosphate-0
    Nitrate-5 *probably from build up in filter sock*
    Nitrite-0
    ammonia-0

i do a 5 gallon water change once a week. I don't have a magnesium or iodine test kit yet, but plan to get one when i have the spare money. Also tank will be 6 months old, next month.

After jan 1st i plan to add to go to the lfs to buy some fish and possibly check out their sps corals. I plan to have this a mixed reef but more so concentrated on SPS

2. Click Here!

3. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

Your calcium is a bit low (shoot for around 420-450). I don't know what units you are measuring alkalinity in. You want around 2.5-4.5 mEq/L, or 7-11 dKH. In terms of lighting, I see you are using T5. How many, and of what type?

You will need a magnesium test, but an iodine test isn't all that necessary. You will likely not need to supplement iodine, and will simply replenish it with water changes. Calcium, magnesium and alkalinity are a different story, though, depending on how heavily stocked your tank is with SPS and clams.

4. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Didn't you just get your first coral? Maybe you should get some experience under your belt before you try SPS. Frags are dropping in prices so it won't be an expensive move really. I just think you should get some experience.

5. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

Your gonna need to get the hang of dosing more than likely. Its kinda tricky at times. You have to get your levels where you want them, then see how much the corals are depleting and how much and how often you need to dose to keep it where you want. I still haven't got the hang of it yet and I have no SPS just softies and LPS. Though i'm not sure if its a big jump between SPS and LPS. That said if you start slowly I dont think 1 frag is gonna through you to far at of whack. But like said before you'll want to get that calcium up for sure.

6. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

as far as light i have the 4 x 39 t5 tek, i've been told many of times i can keep whatever i coral i want with this light, and come christmas i will have my mp20 and a mj1200 as i need to leave one in to hold my filter sock in place

i hope to do mainly sps, i want a clam but dont think i have enough room in my sandbed for one

yea, i did, but i dont like softies, only ones i like are zoas. i think i will be ok with sps, with the research ive done *still have to do a bit more* and the equipment i have, so i think i'll be ok :D

7. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

and im willing to learn dosing and get the hang of it :D and yea, all im going to start off slow with sps, like get 1 or 2 frags to start. When i go to the lfs, im hoping to walk out with 2 fish and 1 or 2 sps or lps frags, depending on what they have and if i have enough money

8. Click Here!

9. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

Cool cant wait to see the picks. You tank is coming along nicely. :)

10. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

You need to get your Calcium up. Otherwise I see no issues. Your phosphates are what really piss off SPS. Just a little amount will see them suffer.

Might look into a MG test kit, but if you are doing water changes, it is most likely fine. MG is used much less than Calcium.

11. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

i was wanting to get a mag test when i ordered my ammonia and nitrite test kit, but when shopping at marinedepot, i couldnt find a mag test kit for api. so i didnt get one but know i will be needing one really soon. So you think i should be ok if i walk out with like one sps frag, if i see any that i like?

12. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

alk is very important. If your dkh is off or fluxes too high or too low, SPS can burn / brown out. Once your alk is in check, make sure magnesium is where it should be. Calcium won't read properly and stay up unless your MG is up. You won't need to consistently dose MG, but if it's too low CA will be too low. It's a balance between the 3. I found once I got my dkh to 9, magnesium up to @ 1,380 and CA to around 440 I need to dose 2 tablespoons of CA and alk per day to keep levels where they should be.

Once this is all set make sure you keep phosphates down by running GFO.