Am I ready for corals?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by NUGIO, Jan 8, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Hey guys. my tanks been up since mid Oct. I had the diatoms but that was it . no hair, red ,or any of the other stages when starting a new tank.
    My h2o params are:
    amon 0
    ph 8.3
    nitrIte 0
    nitrAte 10
    spg 1.025
    temp 78
    I wanted to know if I could add some hardy corals and some shrooms. What do you suggest? I got 4 65w pc 2 10k 2 actinics . Oh and one lonely fiji damsel

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Shrooms are a start... how big is the tank?
    Your stats look good.

Edit - Just saw your sig.. 135 gallons?
    Crap that's not a lot of light for a tank that big.. any plans on getting more light?

4. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Like Matt said, not much light for a 135g.  I use 3 55w pcs + 2 13w pc's on my 30g alone.  Maybe try some zoo's are shrooms way high up in your tank.  Star polyps might be a viable one for you as well.  As far as your tank being ready though, I fell it is.  Remember, go slow and let it grow.

Back to watching the coral grow........

5. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Matt and Gresh got you covered. Lack of lighting might be part of why you haven't had green algae or red cyano.

6. NUGIO

:pIve also got 3 400w MH that I havent ran cause the canopys too low. 3" off the water! Thats why I wanted something that will survive under that limited lighting till the new canopy is built.
    Not sure how high it should be though?
      Thanks for the help ::)

7. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

12" high ID. That should put them around 8" off the tank. You got a chiller? 1200w MH is going to produce quite a bit of heat. Wheres Moreno Valley in CA?

8. Click Here!

9. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Duh, thats what the members map is for, huh. Yah, definitly look into a chiller if you haven't being to far south. You in the desert down there?

10. NUGIO

Yeah it gets hot :-[ Im saving now 4 a chiller. hopefully Ill have the cash before the heat kicks in! ;D

11. NUGIO

Could I step down to say 250's with the same ballasts? they arent the electronic type. At least I dont think so.theyre heavy as hell!

12. Malachi

Malachi Sea Dragon

If i were you ,i would wait to your new lights are up. If you put the shroom up top with your low lighting you will have to move them when you new canopy is done. My Shrooms hate my 380W PC i have, they have to be near the bottom of my tank. Do you have central air?