Am I overfeeding?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by nctinter, Aug 31, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nctinter

nctinter Skunk Shrimp

yeah the kids say the same thing. I tell them because they eat better than we do and they know who feeds them lol

2. Click Here!

3. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

id switch that around. flake everyday and nori every other.

4. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

agree...and cube once or twice a week...got alot of crabs?...not personally mind you, but in the tank..LOL:p cause they do need some meat.

5. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

Personally, I try to leave nori in my tank whenever my lights are on for my tangs to graze on, and that amounts to about 1/3 of a 9 x 11 sheet daily. On top of that I feed 2 different kinds of flakes and a few pellets soaked in garlic and selcon for a half hour 1x day at night about an hour before lights out. And on top of that every other day I feed my sun polyps and some LPS 1 cube of brine and whatever dosent stick the fish eat.

~Will.

6. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

Flake can cause nitrates.....

7. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

Since I got over ich and re-stocked my main tank I haven't had over 10ppm, but i skim pretty heavy and have alot of live rock.

8. Click Here!

9. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

you feed your fish well... They eat better than I do :angry:

10. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

have you ever tried nori without rice and fish?? nasty stuff

~Will.

11. nctinter

nctinter Skunk Shrimp

lol no I haven't tried it by itself. So good with fish and rice, yummy. I do have alot of crabs(in my tank)...none on me...all kinds, they do a good job at cleaning the scraps but I am still sure I am overfeeding. I kinda got paranoid cuz I thought I was underfeeding my old tank. It seemed the fish were starving, they looked thin and not healthy. But I am gonna cut back on the feeding definitely. Thanks guys

12. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

I agree, that's a lot of food. I feed every other day only. I was feeding every day but started getting some cyano so cut it back. Cyano gone. I feed Rod's food and nori. The piece of Rod's I give them is only about 3/8" x 3/8". The piece of Nori is about 1.5" x 1.5". I've tried larger pieces of nori to let the graze but it falls apart and floats around if it takes too long to get eaten. I'll spot feed corals with mysis about once a week. I feed my nems a small piece of shrimp once a week.