Am I overfeeding?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by nctinter, Aug 31, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nctinter

nctinter Skunk Shrimp

I have a foxface, yellow tang, clown, six line wrasse, coral beauty and 3 green chromis. I feed once a day a good size pinch of flake food and a cube of mysis, a cube of krill, and a cube of mixed meaty foods. I also have a couple clips with nori that the tang and foxface eat up. My paramaters are pretty good. Nitrates are either at 0 or barely traceable. I get green alage on the glass but not on the rocks. I do get cyano outbreaks from time to time..

2. Click Here!

3. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

I would say yes, i have eight fish and put in ONE cube of food once a day.

4. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

I would say that is alot of food...but thats a 150 gallon tank...as long as your params are stable and your not have'n a algae problem...you should be good....if they eat alot...they poop alot....sage advice.
    Good luck.
    LG

5. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

I would say... MOST DEFINITELY!!!

The key to feeding is to slowly feed... add small amounts at a time. Add a little bit then wait til its all eaten. Then add a little more wait til that eaten and so on. You dont wanna feed where you have food hitting the ground and sucked into the overflow. If food is doing this then your overfeeding. Food should be eatin up before it does this.

For your cubes... dont just pop them in. I cut a cube... let it that. Then i spoon it in slowly with my pinky. Different approach maybe taken if feeding a heavily stocked tank. But for you I strongly recommend this method.

6. tatted4ever

problem is that he is having cyano blooms :-/

7. nctinter

nctinter Skunk Shrimp

yeah they sure do poop a lot. I figured it is a lot of food but it doesn't seem like much when they are eating. I might cut it back a little bit. Do you turn all pumps off when feeding? Do you have a food ring or something to keep the food in one place to make sure they get it all?

8. Click Here!

9. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

I have a one 180 in which only 1 cube goes a day and no i dont turn my pumps off

10. tatted4ever

it is recommended to turn off powerheads when feeding. But not completely necessary.

11. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

for sure....my point with the poop.
    Its funny...because a friend of mine thinks its cool...everytime he comes to his tank...the fish come running...he says...they are hungry.....I said....do you remember Pavlovs Dog? .....ding ding :p

12. nctinter

nctinter Skunk Shrimp

So I am gonna try this. Still gonna put nori in everyday. one cube per day. and maybe some flake food every other day. I will feed slowly too