Am I fooling myself?

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Jetholes, Mar 18, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jetholes

Jetholes Plankton

I am starting a 65 gal FO with only a small amount of LR and probably 4" of LS. Refugium's really intrigque me, but I am not sure if I would really accomplish my goals.
    1) Nutrient export
    2) Food for the tank

I want to stock with a huma trigger, clown, puffer, blue tang, small angel (flame) and maybe some damsels.

Will I actually be able to feed these guys with food generated from a 12x5x15 refugium? (Size is estimate because I am not sure how I am going to do it)

Thanks in advance for any and all advice

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Hey Jethole,
    Not to be a complete bummer but that would be way too many fish for a 65G tank. The Trigger, puffer, and tang need minimum 75G if they are the only Big fish in the tank.

I am assuming you are talking about pods for feeding. If so I'm not sure any of those fish would actually eat them. The Trigger and Puffer usually eat bigger things like silver sides (small mino sized fish) and the Tang is a vegetarian that would also eat brine shrimp or Mysis.

I would suggest you rethink the size of tank you want and if you are able to go bigger I would select one of those fish only then stock with smaller less demanding fish.
    That is the problem with this hobby, as soon as you buy one thing you eliminate 50 other things you thought you wanted.

Jason

4. Jetholes

Jetholes Plankton

Thanks for the response.
    I def. plan to cull the stocking, just fiquring it out now. Thought the refugium would be good to grow certain algae's, other? for the tang and angel primarily.

I guess the question is what could I actually grow in the refugium to feed these fish?

5. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

The fish you want to keep are not big algae eaters.  Blue tangs don't need and eat as much algae as other tangs.  In fact, my blue tang wont even touch the lettuce algae in my fuge, however my Purple and Yellow tangs gobble it up.  I would just stick with  frozen algae food like Formua-2  and supplement with algae pellets like Formula 2 pellets.  And I agree with Jason,  the tank you want to keep those fish in is too small.  If you want to keep puffers look at the Sharp nose puffers (Tobies) they only get 3-5" and are just as interesting as the larger puffers.

6. Jetholes

Jetholes Plankton

Again, thanks for your advice. I'm reasonably well read, but not overly experienced in saltwater.

IYO, what would you stock in a 65gal? I def want a huma huma trigger and was lead to beleive it could work. I will check out the puffer you recommended.

Also, assuming my water changes may slip occassionally to 2 months, what should i use for nitrate reduction.

FYI - I will be using a 10gal amiracle wet/dry sump and Aqua Urchin Pro as a skimmer.

7. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

I would definitely use a refuge for nutrient export and nitrate reduction.  You can use an in sump refuge which would be the best option or you can get a CPR HOT refuge which are smaller but would help some.
    I would still rethink the Trigger.  They get big and have big appetites=large waste=nitrates.  They may also eat small fish or even attack larger fish.  If you cant resist getting one then get the smallest specimen possible and trade him in when it gets bigger. You will be limiting the type and amount of fish you can keep in your tank with a trigger. You could probably keep some of the more aggressive fish with it, such as medium wrasses, Tomato Clowns, Toby Puffers like the Valentini or False Eye Puffer and possibly an aggressive Pygmy Angel. Instead of the Trigger you might want to consider a close relative of them like one of the smaller File Fish.