Am I feeding them right?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by twobjustme, Nov 20, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. twobjustme

twobjustme Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I am new to this and just put my first fish in my tank yesterday. I have 2 clowns. I was instructed to use NEW LIFE SPECTRUM, and to only feed each of them 2 pellets twice a day. I have dropped these teeny tiny pellets in the water, but have not seen either of them eat them and the food totally disappears almost immediately. Am I doing this right?

2. Click Here!

3. Ultraner

Ultraner Purple Spiny Lobster

I would say 2 pellets a day would be really hard to regulate. I would dispense a small amount in my hand and slowly distribute it in the water. You dont want to over feed but its gonna be hard to get them just 2 pellets and hope they find them.

4. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

my clowns are pigs they eat like crazy, if they don't go after the pellets try a small amount frozen mysis and brine shrimp soaked in garlic mine love this stuff and go crazy over it.

5. greebs

greebs Flamingo Tongue

Well, my clowns went through a lot of stress from shipping, etc. and they were so surprised with their new surrounding that they didn't even see the food. I got them to feed by getting their attention by tapping at the top of the water with my finger. My clowns were so curious that they would go half way up the tank and then i would drop some food in for them to see. I used flake spirulina mixed with some other flakes. I think if you use this, they might start eating. You have to get creative and get their attention. I think that is a biggie, along with using a food that won't disappear quickly. Try reducing filter flow and things like that so they don't miss their chance at eating.

1 person likes this.
  6. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

twobjustme

as above with 2 new fish in the tank having no idea where everything is and who everybody is , they wont recognise feeding time and in some cases are likely to move away when the lid is lifted and the shadow appears close to the tank

once they get used to the routine, they will be waiting for you as soon as you enter the room, and then you could feed 2 pellets each (if you wanted to) and they would get them all ?(probably 3 pellets to the dominant one and 1`to the other )

so dont be to worried early days, feed a few - half a dozen or so , once per day at similar time and they will soon react to it

Im also not sure on the 2 pellets each situation myself , I would probably feed more to allow for dominant one getting the lions share whilst making sure other gets enough

Steve

1 person likes this.
  7. greebs

greebs Flamingo Tongue

totally agree. try to make them accustomed to seeing you and movement, so they do not get scared or distracted. i would say for the pellet situation, feed them what they will take. when they get accustomed to feeding, drop 4 pellets in, and if they still linger at the top of the tank searching for more, drop 1 or 2 more in. not all fish are the same, so a set limit of feeding from not knowing the fish is not a very good thing to rely on.

8. Click Here!

9. twobjustme

lids?

10. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

exchange is better without a tight fitting cover or canopy - if you have a low PH it might be down to CO2 build up, which cant escape due to a tight fitting cover

I dont have to lift my lid to feed fish as my 6 light canopy does not cover all my tank, so I feed in the gap at the front

leave it off, but you do run the risk of jumping fish, unless you have some form of screen in place

Steve

11. twobjustme

Well thanks. I like the screen idea. I have never thought of that.