Am i doing this right with the GSP?

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Hoopastank, Aug 28, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Hoopastank

Hoopastank Spaghetti Worm

my brother in law gave me some GSP, he said to rubber band it down in the tank and it will hold after a few days.. Can anyone provide more insight on this and if this is correct.. Thanks! Here is a pic I have fixed the rubber band so it is all level but its still not flattening out. 3 days later now.

FullSizeRender (8).jpg

2. Click Here!

3. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Just give it more time, glue has never worked for me as it just slimes up and the glue doesn't stick.

4. Hoopastank

Thanks Va! I appreciate all the help and insight!!!!

5. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

No problem. I feel I should forewarn you though: be careful with GSP...it's a plague.

6. Hoopastank

Yeah, i have some in the tank already. It has spread pretty good so far...lol

I actually have an blue acan in there that is dying my brother in law gave to me I am trying to bring it back to life. Its only in a few days 3 again i think.
    I had an issue with my salinity last Sunday the Hydrometer was reading off really bad, so i got my brother in laws refractometer and the salinity was at 1.019. I have not added any top off water for this week testing again tomorrow to see where it is.. What is the best way to figure this out?

Thanks Again!

7. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

I would just do water changes with elevated salinity. You don't want to bring it up too quickly.

8. Click Here!

9. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

When my salinity gets low i will top off with 1.026 salt water instead of fresh until it comes the the level I want it at. It usually takes about a week to go up .003 so it would take about 2 weeks or so to get to 1.026.

10. Hoopastank

Thanks! I will be testing it later today to see where it is!

11. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

Also a refractometer and some calibration solution are two of the best purchases I have made. Don't trust 0TDS water. It is too far away from where your salt level will be. The calibration solution is 35 ppt, right about where you want to be.

I am not saying your hydrometer is useless or anything of the sort. Corailline uses both, the hydrometer frequently and the refractometer to spot check and check the hydrometer accuracy.

Refractometers aren't expensive and simple to use. I don't know how I went so long without buying one.

12. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Can't tell in pic but try to keep it on its own separate rock. ( unless you really want it to spread everywhere. ). Mine has barely grown in two years. People come over and tell me to get rid of it. I still like it though.