Alveopora growing or dying?

Discussion in 'Coral' started by TravisVT, Nov 1, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TravisVT

TravisVT Fire Worm

I have had this alveopora for about 3-4 weeks now. It started off doing great but recently has not extended like it used to. Day 1 when I bought it and put it in the tank the skeleton had 4 large heads each shaped like a light bulb (when the polyps were completely retracted). Then at day 2 (first picture) it was fully extended and looking great. For the past few days it has looked like this (rest of pics). It appears the skeleton has extended outward in a few spots, does this mean the skeleton is dying or is it growing? There was a spot about a week ago that looked bald, but then the polys grew back out. It currently is in a low light, low flow area. In either scenario, what should I do?

Thanks for any help!

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

It's dying, skeleton should be covered by tissue.

Always looks to your water chemistry first? Next flow and placement?

4. TravisVT

TravisVT Fire Worm

That sucks :(

Parameters are all good. Big three seem to be ok
    cal 450
    kh 8
    mag 1300

I guess I will try to move it in an area with a little more light, see if that helps it any.

Thanks Corailline

5. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

How's the alevo doing? You might try a slower water movement area. Mine seems to like the sand bed in slow area with moderate to low light