alternative to live rock?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by beastmaker22, Dec 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. beastmaker22

beastmaker22 Plankton

Hello and i hope yall had a merry Christmas!

I think it goes without saying, but I'm new to the saltwater hobby(I have some freshwater background though!). And loving all of the info your site has to offer!

So my question is, is oyster rock a good alternative to purchased live rock?

Let me add some detail in here. my friend lives on a bay(Ochlockonee bay in panacea, for you fellow Floridians). Me and him go fishing every now and then, and he took me out to an oyster bar at low tide. That's where he gets his crabs for bait. Anyway there's some rock there that's always above water and some in between and some below. My friend breaks 'em open to get the crabs out. So i was wondering if these rocks were ok to use. I tried to get a pic off of google but all i came up with was pics of oysters of the food kind...::)
    I'll give the best description i can give though. They are really porous, have lots of larger holes for good water circulation, and its pretty easy to break off some areas so they can be sculpted. if you get some some of the rocks that are in the water still they have live oysters on them too.

So I'm runnin this question by you guys and let me know if its plausible or not. Thanks for the time!

2. Click Here!

3. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

hmm interesting; i personally am not sure but I'd love to know too

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Welcome to 3reef. I would first check that you are not breaking any laws before removing the rock. I would be wary if it is OK because the oysters would foul your tank quickly if they die. It sounds like it is calcium carbonate rock or something close by your description.

5. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

i wouldnt use anything out of the bay in panacea...that bay is like a giant protein skimmer to the gulf....I live in Tallahassee. Just get some base rock and seed with live rock

6. jdameli1

jdameli1 Torch Coral

I agree, maybe you can get the rock and nuke it, but I would not use it as live rock, and I would think that there would be something against removing rock.

I got in trouble for removing Algae for a marine botany project, from the coast guard... it might be different up there though.

7. beastmaker22

beastmaker22 Plankton

Thanks!
    Yeah, I've been searching all day to see if It's legal, haven't found and thing that says its not.

As to the oysters, like i said some is above water and is basically base rock. And i could break some rock off from where there are live ones.

*edit oops didnt see the new replies lol

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  8. Click Here!

9. theaquapond

theaquapond Bristle Worm

10. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

be weary of anything that u can "break" off...its probably crap rock and will cloud ur water so bad that u might as well just call the Ochlockonee Bay your fish tank cuz the water will look the same..lol

11. beastmaker22

beastmaker22 Plankton

hmm. i saw that first pic but no. much smaller. most bout the size of a basket ball.

what i meant was its not easy to break off but can be done lol. but i see what your saying

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  12. beastmaker22

beastmaker22 Plankton