Alternative to DIY live rock?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Trogdor, Feb 1, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Trogdor

Trogdor Plankton

OK, so heres the deal: i have tons of respect and admiration for everyone who builds their own rocks, but don't have the time nor the patience to do it myself. Unfortunately, I'm also too broke to go out and buy enough live rock for a 100 gallon aquarium. :p
    So today i was at the building supply store when i noticed that they sell rocks there that look like that lava type rock, you know, the stuff thats all porous and has tunnels and nooks and crannies....So my question is; Would it be OK to use this type of rock in a reef tank? i was planning of using the lava type rock as a base, and then going out to a LFS to buy live rock to go on top of it......good idea or not?

2. Click Here!

3. dano

dano Spaghetti Worm

i think over half if not more has some in our tanks. its perfect while cycling your tank the rock starts to come to life. i have 25 - 50 lbs of base. its been 4 - 5 months and its already covered with coraline. i saw a feather duster already popping up. its a good buy for people like myself that cant afford $10 a lb. here in minnesota.

4. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

If it is true Lava rock, who knows what kinds of minerals and / or chemicals may leach out...IMHO, I would not risk using rock of unknown origin.  If there is copper in it, everything in the tank will die eventually. :-/

I searched some of the forum sites, local reef clubs and such, and hooked up with someone getting out of the hobby and I got 80 pounds of LR and 75 pounds of live sand for $200 total. ;D

You can start at Reef Central and go to the Reef Clubs area, and find some that may be near you.

Base rock, obviously is fine, just make sure you know what kind of rock it is. ;)

5. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

A couple of LFS in my area sell base rock for about 2$ a pound... better than paying 10$. So maybe check wityh your LFS maybe they have some.

Marc.

6. Trogdor

Trogdor Plankton

yeah.....i didnt even think about what kind of chemicals could come out of the rock.....so there goes that idea.. but checking my LFS for base rock is a good idea too. Thanks you guys!

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

8. Click Here!

9. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

You ought to be able to get some good baserock in LA. The LFS down here (shameless plug..Aquatic Warehouse) has fossilized coral base rock for 69 cents a pound. It looks great and has all the wonderful holes. Then add a couple of live rocks and your off!!!!

Drew

10. Trogdor

Trogdor Plankton

Awsome....would you happen to know exactly where the Aquatic Wharehouse is? if you give me the address i can find it from my house. Thanks!

11. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

Lava rock works great, but as Matt pointed out it tends to grow algae very quickly. You should be able to get enough base rock ans sopme decrative premium for about $200......Ild say save up as LR is an important part of the reef.

12. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

Trogdor,

Aquatic warehouse is in San Diego where I am. I hope I did not mislead you. But if you feel like taking a drive the address is:

5466 Complex Street
    Suite #204
    San Diego, CA 92123

PH: 858 467-9297

Take 163 south to the Clairmont Mesa Blvd exit
    East on Clairmont Mesa Blvd about three blocks
    Left (or North) on Complex Street
    Left into the business park
    Aquatic warehouse is on the right hand side.

There are probably some LFS in LA just as nice. I am familiar with LA but not with the LFS situation up there. I lived in Long Beach for about 5 years.

Drew