Alternative Food Source For Free

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by lunatik_69, Nov 12, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Living in Miami, one of the pests that we have to deal with, is the mosquito. Everyone knows what will happen if you leave a cup filled with water outside for a couple of days. You will have mosquito larve swimming up and down. I started feeding my fish & company mosquito larve a couple of weeks ago and they scarf it up!!!:eek: Im assuming that this alternative food source is highly nutrient. What do you guys think? Have you done this before? Is there a negative side to this? Luna

2. Click Here!

3. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Keep it up and fish stay healthy and active, don't see why it would not be a good food source.

Drawback would be, the larva are going to die as soon as you put in tank, and you might not notice some being uneaten...may lead to other problems. :-/

4. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Actually, I put the larve in portions and all get eaten up and they do live a lot longer than you think. Have you tried feeding your fish with mosquito larve omar?

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Alot of folks feed their fish frozen mosquito larvae so I don't see how feeding them live could be any "worse". My only fear would be contamination of the water that the larvae are found in?

6. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I dont pour the larve with the water that their in. I remove the larve and they are placed in a small fish net and freed into the tank. My aquaruim doesnt get any of the water that the larve was in. Luna

7. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Nope...but may give it a try....have a good source in stagnant pond right outside back door. --- probably other squiggly things in it the fish may like.

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

If the water that they come from is contaminated, you can bet that the larvae will have absorbed some of these contaminates. If you're going to continue feeding your tank live larvae, you might want to set up your own "mosquito hatchery" so that you can trust the water source.

10. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Good point. May carry some bacteria/fungus that you don't want. --- Last thing I want my fish to catch is Malaria...;)

On other hand, think I am going to give this a pass.

Fish food is cheap. Why risk it? :-/

11. MILLERTIME

MILLERTIME Feather Duster

its diffently not worth the risk!

12. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I dont see the big deal, get a clean cup, fill with clean water(R/O) and put outside and wait a couple of days. Maybe not even that. O well whatever floats ur boat.;D