Already lost Clown Goby... now for my Clownfish - HELP!

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by robojet, Feb 6, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. robojet

robojet Astrea Snail

[​IMG]

OK... it's the white spots. I lost my clown goby on Saturday. Same problem. I did a fresh water dip on the clown goby and the problem got much worse. LFS thought it might be a fungus or bacteria, so I setup a quarantine tank and medicated with PimaFix. The clown goby went downhill very fast and died. It looked like "stuff" (flakes, balls, icky stuff) was hanging all over his body.

I'm afraid this is what's happening to my clownfish now. I did a freshwater dip with him as well just as a precaution. No ammonia, no nitrates, no nitrites, salanity/ph good, temp 78, alk good, seems to be eating well. Soaking his food in garlic starting today because they said it would help boost his immune system.

What in the world can I do??? I appreciate your help.

2. Click Here!

3. robojet

robojet Astrea Snail

Did a 30%-40% water change today also.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Sorry to hear that.

Are we talking about 'ich' here? click for more info.

Do a search for 'disease' on this board and you'll find plenty.

Any background info on tank size, inhabitants, feeding habits and filtration could help diagnose too.

5. robojet

robojet Astrea Snail

My original assumption was ich... but because of how it played out, I wasn't sure. I was hoping someone would recognize as possibly something different... I've done plenty of research, and employed the strategies mentioned above to try and combat the problem, but the fish died anyways. It's a 5g tank with with 3 redlegged crabs, 1 blue legged crab, 2 astrea snails, 1 cerith snail.

I was feeding daily alternating mysis shrimp and formula one flake. The clownfish is eating normally for now.

I have a aquaclear 30 with foam/carbon/live rock.

6. Reef Lover

Reef Lover Sea Dragon

Another fish can't catch ick from another fish. What other symptoms does your clown have?

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

That's a darn small tank too with basic filtration. How much live rock do you have?

8. Click Here!

9. robojet

robojet Astrea Snail

5lbs live rock

10. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Gobys and Blennies really can't handle copper based treatments.

It looks like ick to me. If you are able to remove the fish without stressing it out I would set up a Q tank and treat with copper. Do not treat in your 5G as copper will kill your LR and all your inverts

J

11. billy31422

billy31422 Feather Duster

it looks like ick to me too. i lost a clown to ick a long time ago. but i saved one by freshwater dipping and setting up a quarantine tank with low salt level and high temp. did a lil copper treatment too.

12. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Ahhh, aquariasts worst enemy... ich. I agree with everyone on this one. Whatever you do, do not treat for disease in a reef tank, it can have a serious impact on corals. And like mentioned, if treating with copper, QT is prefered to avoid leaving traces in your main tank, cuz if you do, you can forget about having inverts in there. But yes, copper is probably the best treatment out there. It kills everything off the fish.