(Almost) A catastrophe :(

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by missionsix, Feb 23, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Had a pH drop yesterday. Lost my last (of 5) green chromis. Also lost my mandarin dragonette. The only fish that I care for. My y. tang looked like it was going to start floating. I thought the mandarin would definitely survive over the tang. What a crummy way to go considering the mortality rate of the species in general. The pH drop was due to a fuge lighting issue. The leopord wrasse was the only one cruising/eating yesterday. Tough little sucker. Oh well, what can you do????????????????:angry:

3 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

that sux, what happened did the light stay on or blow out?

4. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

Not the Mandarin. Thats suck donkey butt. I feel for you bro.

5. missionsix

I was having some work done to my house that required a power shut down.

6. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

I have never heard of a ph drop that was caused by lighting to go out cause death in a tank. There has to be some underlying issue. I would dig deeper if I were you.

7. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

WOW. Dude that REALLY sucks. So sorry Casey. And I'm with you, I would think the mandarin would make it over a lot of others, specially a tang. How much did the PH actually drop?

8. Click Here!

9. trelane

trelane Peppermint Shrimp

UPS's are important for situations like this, or borrow a friend's generator. A generator sufficient for a reef tank should be ~300-400, plus some heavy duty extension cords. (you do know that you don't use the cheap stuff around water right?)

Sorry for your loss.

10. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Ya know, I am with Daniel on this one. Light's out and pH drop? My lights have been off and on for hours at a time with no significant effect of pH. If there was no power, there was no circulation and thus severely limited gas exchange. Thus, you had a buildup of CO2 which lead to carbonic acid formation and your subsequent pH drop. That's my theory. Same end result obviously and that sucks. I am really sorry Casey. I think in the next few weeks I am going to get some sort back up for my system. Such a fragile ecosystem we maintain. K+ for your loses dude.:cry:

11. missionsix

Let me know what happened when you find out;)................................

I am coupling this with the lighting. I think it caused a good pH drop. Enough to make for a bad day. I really wish the tang would have traded for the dragonette.

12. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

What kind of plants do you use in there Casey ? Also is it real deep sand ? in it ? or a inch or two ? could be a double edged sword ? CO2's are bound up in some plants more then others and some plants will release their stored nutrients if stressed and a DSB will also hold in Gases of methane and hydrogen sulfides .