Allow myself to introduce.......myself!

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Twan013, Jan 7, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Twan013

Twan013 Skunk Shrimp

hey guys, i told myself i wasn't gonna do this, but its all the small things that makes me want to set up another salty aquarium...

Well, here's a history of sorts, i guess... first of all, i've only had 1 aquarium, several setups... it was a 55 gallon, first setup for a rather small and boring freshwater community (danios, pleco, cories, etc.)... then i decided to try my hand at a reef aquarium... i loved setting it up (even through all the frustrations hehehe) and loved watching all the surprises that came out of it (except for the aiptasia)...

Anyway, a broken foot and just under 2 months of being away from home, your aquarium tends to deteriorate majorly! plus, i couldn't afford buying 30+ gallons of distilled water every 2 weeks.. paying for the water wasn't that bad, it was just a matter of finding what to do with the empty jugs...

so eventually i had to drop the idea of my marine resurrection, and all of my stuff went to the trash... well, not all of it.. i still have the tank itself, my t5 lighting, and a few various chemicals that were supposed to be "cure-alls" for my aquarium...lol

the reason i'm telling you this? i want to get back into the hobby.... but i plan on doing it right this time around... RODI, 75+ gallons, reef-ready, sump/fuge, MH/HQI lights...... all the good stuff...

my question is, how can i enjoy it if i don't have much time to spend at home? i work an hour away from home, and usually, i'm only at home from 6 pm to 6am.... take out a few hours for sleeping, and going out to eat with family and stuff... i have a feeling i'll end up in the same situation as the last setup... not spending enough time for maintenance, and letting it go to waste... so how can i remedy this?

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Welcome back to 3Reef>>>>>

4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

To be honest with you, a saltwater tank is not very time consuming as long as you do things slow, and follow some of the key and underlying issues in creating a marine biotope.
    Reading and enlightening yourself as to current trends, water parameter issues, compatability and husbandry issues regarding livestock, equipment functions and types as well as doing a small weekly water change, not introducing pollutants or elevated nutrient, nitrate and phosphate levels into your tank and things should be fine for you, especially over time once your tank matures!
    Good luck...

5. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

Welcome to 3reef....8)

6. Twan013

Twan013 Skunk Shrimp

yeah, i know that maintenance SHOULDN'T be very time consuming, if you do it right... but the way i did it before, a waterchange took about 1 or 2 hours.... but that was doing one gallon at the time... and allowing time for the salt to mix with the water... sure, i had a VERY crude method, it was time consuming, messy, and probably not the healthiest way for my fish and livestock... but it did the job... but i think with the RO/DI unit, and more planning ahead, i think things will be better...

7. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Hi Twan...welcome back.

Can certainly understand itch to get back in hobby.

Sounds like you need a new job to allow you more time at home. (or setting up a Nano at work if possible).

You have to decide what you need/can to do more.

I agree with you that setting up another system in your current work situation would likely result in same as last time.

Save up money for ultimate system when you are in position to have more time. change jobs, retire, etc.

In mean time, get a good aquarium screen saver, some good reef videos and of course stay with us here at 3Reef.

Setting up another system is not fair to yourself or tank at this time, IMHO.

Seems like you would only be able to squeeze out time for maintenance...and never enough time to enjoy.

Understand problem, but "time" is an often understated/misunderstood "cost" of maintaining a reef system.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

8. Click Here!

9. Twan013

Twan013 Skunk Shrimp

I'd love to have a setup here at work.. but all to often, the bosses decide to play a round of musical cubicles, and there's no telling if i'm gonna be in the move or not... back in december, i was actually planning on buying a pico, and having a single dwarf puffer (freshwater, i know, but its about the best thing i could think of at the time)...

retire?? HAH! i'm only 24... FAAAAAR from retirement...lol the job gives me enough for the setup, i make good money, but its like you said scott, it takes a huge chunk out of my day...

oh, and a screensaver or videos, it won't do anything but add to the problems... the more i think about it, the more i want a real aquarium..hehe

10. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

A pico at work sounds like the deal!

Easy to move and lots of fun developing a really nice micro reef...

(and will go along way to relieving those "reef Joneses")

(would do myself if wife would not go ballistic over another tank. --- even have a nice 3 gal picotype sitting on shelf in box - waiting till right time - :) )

Go for it.

(would be tricky to set up and maintain - but you already have the skills for it!)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  11. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Here are a couple nice (cheap) systems to spark your interest:

DFS

[​IMG]

Picotope 3 Gallon Aquarium Kit
    * Perfect desktop starter tank with panoramic viewing
    * Includes unique 9W Compact Fluorescent Clamp-on Lamp
    * Small tank size, big tank feeling!

Sleek, curved glass desktop aquarium makes a stunning starter tank! Or, for advanced aquarists, use it to create a radiant mini reef. Compact fluorescent Clamp on Lamp adjusts for perfect illumination for live rock, mushroom corals, zooanthids, invertebrates, and freshwater fish. Plus, this energy-saving lamp features telescoping arms, space-saving design, adjustable light hood, and a remote ballast for a cooler running environment. Amazing, 150 L/H compact powerfilter maintains crystal-clear water, while providing mechanical, chemical, and biological filtration.

Includes: 3 gallon, 11-3/4" x 8-7/8" x 8" tank; compact fluorescent Clamp-on Lamp fixture with 9W 50/50 lamp and remote ballast; 40 gph Pico powerfilter.

CD-27289 3 Gallon Aquarium Kit $37.99

or:

[​IMG]

Deco Kit Aquarium
    * 3 gallon aquarium kit with superior, high-tech performance
    * Includes super-efficient Rapids 3-stage power filter
    * Compact aquarium offers panoramic views

Minimalist, modern aquarium meets high-tech performance. An 80 gph, 3-stage power filter provides superior filtration and a bright 50/50 compact fluorescent lamp offers amazing high-light conditions. This quality, miniature aquarium system is perfect for the budding aquarist - great for bettas, guppies, and other small freshwater fish. The Deco Aqaurium also makes an exceptional miniature reef environment for advanced reef enthusiasts. Durable, one-piece acrylic construction. Deco Kits can be set up either as a saltwater or freshwater aquarium.

Deco Kit 3 Includes: 3 gallon acrylic aquarium - 12-1/2" x 9-5/8" x 7-1/4" high, Rapids powerfilter, 18W compact fluorescent perch-light fixture with 50/50 14,000°K actinic and 7,400°K daylight lamp.

CD-27365 3 gallon $54.99

12. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

Id go with the second one, more light and filtration. its only like 20 bux more and if your making good money that shouldnt be too bad :p