all of my fish are dead or dying PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Wrasse Fan, Apr 2, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

You basically changed all of your water and shocked your fish – I would expect you to enter into a cycle. A drastic water change is 50% - you changed out 100%.

Steve’s suspicions above are probably accurate to cause such an immediate death

2. Click Here!

3. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

I would bet on it being low oxygen level in newly mixed salt water,sorry for your loss.

1 person likes this.
  4. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Very Sorry to hear of your losses. With all your parameters in order I would suspect O2 levels crashed. If it was stray voltage you would see problems in your corals as well.
    But i guess I wouldn't rule it out.

J

5. OnefishTwofish

OnefishTwofish Feather Star

since the OP has graciously allowed my questions on here I shall ask another:

Assuming that this was a matter of o2 crash, what could have / should have been done to avert this. (again my intention is to learn from this - not point out anyone's mistake. Just want to be sure folks understand that!).

My future tank move has me concerned enough and I was not planning to do it until i ordered an RO/DI of my own and had it up and running.

thanks again all. Good to see this can serve as a learning thread for some of us facing a similar scenario.

1 person likes this.
  6. Wrasse Fan

Wrasse Fan Spaghetti Worm

Dam i feel like the biggest fool right now, so if O2 levels were the problem dose it make sense that one fish would die within minutes, another during the night and then the 3rd fish the morning after? and im guessing since all my inverts are so small that they do not need as much O2 in the water as the fish and there for were uneffected?

I'm leaving the house in a few to have the LFS test a simple of my water just to be 100% sure, ill tell them the story and see what they have to say. Im also not gonna wait till tonight for the volt meter ill swing by my dad's work after the LFS.

Still no sign of the blue star leopard and the watchman goby, again if O2 was the problem what are the chances there still alive?

thanks

7. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I would have first waited 48 to 72 hours before adding any live stock

But if that wasn't possible I would have added an air stone

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Are you running a skimmer too? A skimmer oxygenates heavily into a system.
    I am really sorry for your loss, that really sucks. :(

1 person likes this.
  10. Kelley11

Kelley11 Peppermint Shrimp

I have to agree with the water as being the primary issue. That is just too much new water and probably a drastic change in water conditions considering your statement of letting the older tank go while waiting for the new setup. I would definitely recommend mixing your salt water for 24 hours going forward to ensure a good mix. I am really sorry for your loss, I can't even imagine going from the excitement you must of had setting up the new tank to total devestation in a 24 hour period :(

Good luck and don't give up!

1 person likes this.
  11. Dr. Bergeron

Dr. Bergeron Peppermint Shrimp

You'll want to get as much water from your old system into your new system as possible. This will require less new water to be mixed, and you know your current water is good since things are living there.

1 person likes this.
  12. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Everyone seems to be in agreement on the oxygen issue, but I promise you that after a 100% water change you would have been destined for a cycle and the same result anyway. I am truly sorry for your issues and horrible loss.

1 person likes this.