all of my fish are dead or dying PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Wrasse Fan, Apr 2, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. OnefishTwofish

OnefishTwofish Feather Star

im paying attention to posts on here...and making note of suggested problems - I hope to avoid these issues.

About the stray voltage - what is the easiest way to insure against that? Does it mean going out to buy a voltage meter and test regularly? or just install a grounding probe?

(not trying to hijack...but if stray current might be an issue here - I am curious as to how he might deal with that).

**continues taking notes**

2. Click Here!

3. Ultraner

Ultraner Purple Spiny Lobster

My first thought if you didn't use any old water from your existing tank was just the shock of the new water. In my mind it would be like taking your preexisting tank and doing a 100% wc in one day. Sure the temp and salinity and everything look the same on a test but its still not the same water. Just a thought and I'm very sorry for your loss.

1 person likes this.
  4. Wrasse Fan

Wrasse Fan Spaghetti Worm

ask all the questions you want OnefishTwofish haha i dont mind. Theres nothing i can do to save my fish now there already dead but if this info keeps you from making the same mistake as me ill be happy.

I agree Ultraner about the shock, that was my first thought i just really didnt wanta add old tank water since it was tap water and to be honest i let the old tank slip abit once i new i was setting up a new one so i got some cyano problems the last week of my old system being set up i just didnt want any of that in the new system. I prlly should have let them acclimate more or kept them in the old tank longer but i did everything the same as when i switched over from my 29 to my 65 alittle over a year ago and 4 outa the 5 fish i had yesterday i had when i upgraded a year ago, only difference is they went from tap water to tap water when i upgraded to the 65.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  5. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Yes a volt meter could be used to check it
    but getting a ground probe would negate the need to do that

if you get a tingle, which is often easiest to feel on areas of broken skin, so cuts etc - then that is also said to be an indicator that electricity is leaking into your tank

Steve

1 person likes this.
  6. Wrasse Fan

I put my finger tips in the water just now to see if i could feel anything in my hang nails and i didnt. I'll have my pops bring home a volt meter today.

By the way thank you all for all of the info and quick responses. Im not gonna lie it brought tears to my eyes when i saw that coral beauty go down hill he was the fish i had the longest

1 person likes this.
  7. OnefishTwofish

OnefishTwofish Feather Star

I have no doubt that it was very sad for you.

On a positive note, once you can verify that things are again stabilized - why not start a new re-stock thread so we all can celebrate each of your new additions? :)

(be sure to update this when you test for stray current).

and thanks for being cool with my questions. +K

8. Click Here!

9. Wrasse Fan

Yea i suppose the only bright side to this is i can restock my tank any way i want it...my dad will be home from work around 5 ill update with results then but for now i gotta get outa the house i cant look at the tank...thanks again every one feel free to leave any other theorys or ideas you have.

10. Dr. Bergeron

Dr. Bergeron Peppermint Shrimp

Steve may be on the right track.

Did you run your RO machine before putting the new water in the tank? I know the membranes and filters are laced with some chemicals from the manufacturing process that are expelled by running the machine. This would be something to consider.

Did you by chance use new salt? Even if you did I would assume that a drip acclimation would be enough to prevent any shock.

I know that they say to let your salt mix sit for a while before you use it due to the chemical reactions that happen within the new water and salt mixing. I normally let mine sit overnight.

Also with putting new everything into a tank I would expect a new cycle to happen. I would also maybe have a second test done on your water maybe at the LFS just so you get repeatable results. If for some reason your tests weren't working correctly and the ammonia was high enough, that could be an issue. why inverts wouldn't be affected though is beyond me.

11. Wrasse Fan

The instructions of the RO system said to disopse of the first 10 gallons the system makes, i threw out the first 15 gallons since i had to wait until last night to set up the tank, it is a new system so you could be right there coulda been somthing left over in the membranes or filters.

I used the same salt ive been using from day one, reef crystals...As far as letting it sit overnight i didnt kno you were suppose to maybe i went wrong there.

I figured there would be a small cycle since it was new sand but the live rock was not new but i figured with daily testing and weekly water changes i could handle it.

12. hydrojeff

hydrojeff Montipora Capricornis

so sorry for your loss, that really blows....

1 person likes this.