all my softies dead in a week

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by howie123, Jan 30, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. howie123

howie123 Astrea Snail

I put a post in ASAP forum (help corals look dead) for backround. My corals toadstool, and greenstriped mushroom col died in a week and I can't figure out why???????????????????????????????????????????????

It started out about a week and a half ago. I noticed that my toadstool
    wasn't fully opening up so I figured it was because I just changed out two old actenic 24w T5s.Lighting is 65w PC 50/50 and 2*24w T5s actenic.
    So the next day it still was the same and in a few days it didn't even
    have any bumps on top. at that time I noticed my one mushroom looked
    like the edges were getting ragged but the others looked fine I was very worried at this point.Tried to find what was going on and tested every thing exept copper, I have an RO/DI filter so I thought I didn't need it.
    MY filters look brown and the DI is half amber, I have copper pipes in my home. Could copper be comming through the old filters and killing my coral?
    My fish , anemone , seem fine . CUC been slowly dieing about 4 hermits dead in 2 weeks.
    Well anyway the toadstool was bent in half so I tried to move it and the stalk was decinagrated in the middle. I took it out and cut off the rotting flesh w/ scalple and wedged it in a rock. Hope it pulls through.
    The mushrooms became mush sludge, I pulled out the rock they were on and cleaned off any dead flesh also the rock is covered in these brown little polyps kinda like clove polyps they are all still there.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. bc219

bc219 Millepora

First of all you should not be using tap water in your tank, and yes, the copper can and will leach into the water and hurt your livestock. Your symptoms do sound like a copper issue since the fish are fine.

1 person likes this.
  4. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

do you see any cloudness in the water column. that what happened to my tank when i had a die off from copper posioning. get a test kit and check it is the only way to know for sure

1 person likes this.