All my corals are shriveled

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Kevin3884, Sep 20, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

Added a new refugium today....bigger and better, but all my corals have shriveled up, and polyps are closed...they never did that after a water change...did the new sand debris piss them off or could it be something worse?...all my params are good (with the exception of my nitrates being at 30ppm, which is why a bigger better fuge went in)....but its been a few hours now and the water is pretty much cleared...should i be worried about my corals?

2. Click Here!

3. devlzluv

devlzluv Ritteri Anemone

your tank is just getting use to all the new stuff, they will be ok just keep track of your params and youll be ok. Mine went goofy when i re did my plumbing and throughly cleaned my sump, about 24hrs later they were all wide open and bushy tailed

4. Barbarossa

Barbarossa Sea Dragon

Even if your parameters are reading good, a change in ph, salinity, or temp can irritate your corals. They should adjust soon.

My Tank

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  5. Kevin3884

Ok...my corals are still all shriveled and dead looking...i thought they would be back to normal by now..i'm starting to worry...its been over a full 24hrs now..how long do you think it will take for them to come back out/adjust to the params...the params are about what they were before the bigger fuge was added now..should i be worried?

6. blumoon reefers

blumoon reefers Millepora

What kind of corals? Softies? If so, it might take a couple of days. I would not be worried just yet.

7. Kevin3884

Yeh softies...dont have anything really hard to raise yet (till the nitrates go to 0) basically some kenya trees, awesome mushrooms and ricordias, candy canes, yellow scroll, xenia, bunch of different zoas, 2 different star polyps, very tiny frogspawn, a neon open brain, razzleberry acans..thats about it...i just want everything to make it through..

8. Click Here!

9. blumoon reefers

blumoon reefers Millepora

Give it another day or so before you start worrying. Sometimes my softies will go for days looking pretty bad..I tell my hubby, they are not happy. Then after a little while, they come back lookier happier than ever.

10. Kevin3884

i sure hope so...i will go crazy if i lose my corals!..lol

11. Kevin3884

Still no change today in my corals...my xenia looks worse, and its starting to lose "fingers"...my candycanes are really really shriveled and have slime coming off them... :(

12. Thirtypack

Thirtypack Astrea Snail

The same exact thing happend to me when I added a fuge to my tank. It took over a week before everything was back to normal. You have made changes to the chemistry... for the better IMO. It will just take the tank a little time to adjust, be patient Im pretty sure everything will work out.