ALL LPS showing skeleton

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by SeaGoddess, Apr 19, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SeaGoddess

SeaGoddess Plankton

I'm having an issue with my LPS corals. The ones I have are a pink branching hammer head, an open brain, and a fox coral. All three of which are letting go of the skelletons. I've had these three for about 2 years now. Have not moved any of them other than initial placement trying to find a spot they liked. I first noticed the problem about 3-4 months ago. What can I do to help them heal? Detailed info provided below in categories.

SUSPECTED CAUSES:
    Phosphates (ran out of tests, can't give a reading, more info below)
    Kenya tree coral (I've read they use strong toxins for territorial disputes. more info below)
    Improper additives (info below)
    Salt mix (info below)

PARAMETERS: amonia, nitrites, nitrates 0 , salinity 1.024 or 1.025, using RO/DI for water changes and top off. PH 8.2, Calcium-it appears to be about 450 mg/L, I have difficulty reading this test, need a new one. Phosphates have been a constant battle even when there are no fish in the tank. If left untreated they spike to 1.0, so I use a phosphate sponge once a week and have been doing 10 gal water changes on a 29 gal tank every other week.

CHANGES RIGHT BEFORE PROBLEM STARTED:
    Accidentally bought wrong salt. regular instant ocean instead of instant ocean reef crystals. added the Kenya tree. Changed from using Coralvite & essential elements & Kents liquid calcium to Kent's small reef 2 part system specially made for biocubes. (noticed the problem within a month or two of switching chemicals)

ACTION TAKEN:
    switched back to original Kent's Coralvite, Essential elements & liquid calcium (2 months ago). switched back to reef crystals (1 month ago). Kenya tree experiment: moved Kenya tree to QT for a week. LPS improved, puffed up fully & stopped receding. Put Kenya tree back in, problems returned. Got rid of Kenya tree (back to LFS a few days ago). Started adding Kent's Coral Excell to stimulate coral growth (1 month ago)

Any suggestions would be appreciated. thank you! :wave:

2. Click Here!

3. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

I doubt its the switching of the salts, but you could be on to something with the kenya tree. Do you run any carbon? Carbon would clean up any of the toxing released by leathers

1 person likes this.
  4. SeaGoddess

SeaGoddess Plankton

The filter that goes in the biocube is a carbon filter. Is that enough or is there something else I should be doing?

5. stylaster

stylaster Gigas Clam

what is your alkalinity at? Alk swings kill corals pretty easy. Sometimes it takes a couple of weeks before they show the signs and then its down hill. Also when in doubt do a 50% water change

1 person likes this.
  6. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

Then that is probably not the issue. As long as the carbon is changed out regularly it would be doing its job and cleaning up that type of stuff.

7. SeaGoddess

SeaGoddess Plankton

Actually I did forget to change it on time a couple of times. Didn't even think of that until now.

8. Click Here!

9. SeaGoddess

SeaGoddess Plankton

My alkalinity stays pretty stable. The test I have gives a normal range of 1.7-2.8. When I test, it's almost the exact same color every time, dead center of the normal range.

10. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

1.7 is very, very low. 2.5 is typically the very low end of the range.

1 person likes this.
  11. SeaGoddess

SeaGoddess Plankton

Hmmm, wonder why the test is set up that way. doesn't make sense, or maybe it's supposed to include fish only systems? Don't know. OK what is the range I SHOULD be shooting for? I have stuff to take care of that, I just thought it was good :/

12. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

First, we're talking about meq/L right?

2.5-4.0 is acceptable.