All Glass 120G Reef Ready Tank - Pump?

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by APC, Nov 19, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. APC

APC Gigas Clam

Hey All,

Well, I just pulled the trigger on a new tank. 120G All Gliass Reef Ready Tank. It measures 48x24x24. It is going to take me a few months to get it up and running but I am pretty excited none the less. I am looking for some advice on what type of return pump(s) I need from the sump. The tank has 2 Overflows that can handle 600 GPH. Should I get one pump and split it? or 2 Pumps? Anyone else have this tank, and if so, what are you doing for returns? Any advice on brands of return pumps as well?

Thanks..and I will post pictures as I begin to make progress. I pick the tank up next week. Hope to have Water in it by the end of the year...Rock by the end of January..and full lighting by the end of February.

2. Click Here!

3. APC

APC Gigas Clam

Probably should have mentioned that I intend to run this as a reef tank...not FOWLR

4. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

I'd to a single pump, like a mag 18 or 24, run the return into a SCWD and then up to the tank
    Then have a smaller pump for any reactors you may want to run, or build the mannifold for them off the return before it gets to the scwd

5. MTips18

MTips18 Purple Spiny Lobster

i have an all glass 125 with two over flows i run two pumps (mag 7) remember you head height when sizing your pump

6. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

I have the exact same tank. I opted to split the return on one pump a mag drive 1200 plus I use 2 Koralia 2's for the sides. I probably should have gotten the bigger mag drive but thought 1200 would be enough. That's up to you. I added a Sealife Systems RM300 refugium/sump $330 -$360 that is 36x12. My stand is 36" high so I had room to still work around underneath. I opted for the Marineland Marine Pro 300 Skimmer which is convenient in that it fits in the sump easily but does take solid husbandry to keep the water level in the sump at a proper level. I have a 9W turbo twist UV sterilizer that rests on the floor of the stand next to the sump and there is room for the pump in the sump. I'll take a picture for you to look at. I have an 8x54W T5 retrofit I attached to the canopy that I picked up on ebay for $300 and change and redid all the bulbs to my liking (add $150). I split the returns and put in a check valve (very smart). This all seams to work fine for me. Good luck and you can contact me anytime for any questions.

Attached Files:

7. chetrod

chetrod Peppermint Shrimp

I've got a lil giant external pump that is split to both sides of the aquarium via PVC. It has been running for 7 years non stop no problems at all no leaks no anything but reliability. I am really happy with this pump. There are several sizes to choose from just find the one that fits your needs.

8. Click Here!

9. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

After further review I beleive I'll add 2 Koralia 4's to the mix to give more flow.
    This is a never ending education. Here is a picture with the new Koralia 4's. The 4's are at the top and the 2's are on the bottom.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009