All fish dying, Need Help!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by 75galreef, Jul 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 75galreef

75galreef Astrea Snail

After 3 months of my tank doing so well, now I am losing all my fish battling Ick. I have had only one small instance at 2 1/2 months when I added my yellow tang. I used kordon ick attack (reef safe) and used garlic in their food. It cleared itself up after a week. After adding a kole tang, a week and a half later, he developed ick also. I started treating again with the kordon. This time it didn't seem to help. In two days he was covered with spots and died the next day leaving ALL of the others sick as well. By day 4, I lost my royal gramma. This is day 6, my yellow tail damsel is now dead. :( My yellow tang has been up and down with eating since all of this happened. Now he won't eat and most of the spots are gone, but his eyes look cloudy and acting irratic when swimming. The other fish were acting sick, but now are all eating like normal.

I broke down and brought a 10 gallon tank along with some cupramine. I filled it with the water from the my water change two days ago. I also added a small filter and heater. I want to move the yellow into the small tank to treat. Will that make things worst for him or help him. How long should this process take? Please help before I loose everything. This doesn't seem like ick, maybe something else??? :confused::confused:

My tests all read good.

ammonia- 0 nitrate- 0

nitrite- 0 ph- 8.0- 8.2

2. Click Here!

3. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

salinity , are u using a hydrometer or refractometer , hydrometers can easily be off double check it

4. jhawkor

jhawkor Millepora

Agreed my hydrometer was showing 1.20 I took it to the LFS wich has a refractometer and it was actually 1.26....

5. Bunner

Bunner Bubble Tip Anemone

so they have ich? this would be why they are dying then. Just qt and treat them. asap.

6. 75galreef

75galreef Astrea Snail

My hydrometer reading 1.022. I used r/o water with salt of 1.026 mix from the LFS

7. 75galreef

75galreef Astrea Snail

I changed about 15 gallons on my last water change 2 days ago.

8. Click Here!

9. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

i hope ur salinity is not really .028-.030 u should have the lfs check ur salinity if they use refractometer

10. 75galreef

75galreef Astrea Snail

I will go to have it checked now. Can low salinity be the cause of their irratic behavior since they no longer show the ick spots on them?

11. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

after you get ich once in your tank, the only way I have heard of to be completely rid of it in all stages is QT'ing ALL your fish, treating them with copper, and leaving the display tank fallow for 6-8 weeks. it really sucks, but can be avoided later on by quarantining all new additions.

i like this article on wet web, there is also a TON of FAQ's on marine ich you might want to browse through

~Will.

12. Bunner

Bunner Bubble Tip Anemone

I actually believe i had ich twice now in my DT even with QT them...obviously not long enough. My fire goby recovered after getting it twice. My new kole tang also had it but now its also recoverd. To this effect, maintaining correct water parameters and feeding your fish with nutritient rich foods (maybe accompanied by varied diet) they can recover on their own. if they are to far gone then... it may be to late.