All fish dead...

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by flcracker, Apr 29, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. flcracker

flcracker Astrea Snail

So I recently had all of the fish in my tank, plus my tuxedo urchin, die. Two fire fish, a perc clown, and a bicolored blenny. They were all doing fine until one day the urchin died and was eaten by my starfish. The blenny was next, followed by one of the fire fish, then the clown and the second firefish. Water parameters were all good except for now the nitrates are a little high after all the death. A friend of mine just had an outbreak of ich take out all of his fish so that led me to believe I had the same problem, but I didn't notice any white spots on the fish. Seems to be we each got fish from a bad LFS (never going there again).

I was planning on getting good water, from a trusted LFS, and doing 20%-30% water changes twice a week for several weeks. Will this be a good way to clean the tank? Do you think it was ich? If not what was it? Will my corals be ok?

2. Click Here!

3. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

When you say "good water", what exactly does that mean. What water are you using now?

4. flcracker

flcracker Astrea Snail

I went to one LFS near me, where I bought some water and a couple fish, acquiring what ever killed all my fish. This is the same store my friend bought a fish and had his out break of ich.
    There is another LFS farther away, which I usually use and trust. I have never had any diseases or deaths when using this LFS, I just got lazy and went to the closer store. By "good water" i mean water from this farther away store.

5. DevinH

DevinH Montipora Capricornis

Your corals will be okay, I would suspect Marine Velvet.

6. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

When & what did you add last? What size tank, and how long has it been setup for?

7. rcflyer1388

rcflyer1388 Bubble Tip Anemone

8. Click Here!

9. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Yes please,
    A bit about your tank, system, age, inhabitants, etc.
    The age of your system, like how long ago you cycled it, etc.

And now you may have a good reason to quarantine any new livestock now.

Sorry for your loss, that is really bad.

Welcome to 3REEF!

10. Vizzle1717

Vizzle1717 Coral Banded Shrimp

if you didnt notice any type of spots...did you happen to notice any strange behavior?

11. flcracker

flcracker Astrea Snail

It is a 10 gallon tank that has been running for almost 6 months now. I never had any problems til now. The last thing I added was a couple zoa frags and some nassarius snails a couple days before everything died which leads me to think they brought the killer.

I did notice that the blenny was hanging out on the heater and thermometer the day or two before he died. Wasn't in his normal hideouts and didn't come out to eat.

Aside from the deceased fish and urchin, I have a small skunk cleaner, a few scarlet hermits, a small starfish, and various corals. All seem fine.

12. Durty Dj's 916

Durty Dj's 916 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

That sounds like allot of life for a 10 gal tank. I'm no expert but could his Bio Load have been to high??