All fish are sick Need Help

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by jkirven06, Sep 23, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jkirven06

jkirven06 Astrea Snail

So quickly my setup is 55 Gal FOWLR for now. Running a HOB Reef Octupus protein skimmer, also temporarily until I set up a sump I am using a HOB Filter. My Ammonia is 0 PPM Nitrite 0 PPM and Nitrate 10 PPM PH 8.4. Everything was going great, smooth until the other day my fish got lethargic (2 Ocellaris clowns, 1 Bi-Color Blenny). Then they stopped eating that same day, and the next day I started to notice a lot of twitching coming from all three fish. My inverts do not appear to be effected although it may be too early to tell but all my crabs shrimps and snails seem to still be eating and alive and well. I did a 5% water change almost immediatly but it did not appear to help the problem.

I should add this all started the day after I added two Hydor 850gph powerheads with the Hydor Smartwave (they run one at a time but even if i ran both it shouldnt be too much flow). I don't know if that would have anything to do with it. But just in case.

2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

the only thing I can think of and it may be silly but could there be stray voltage coming from the powerheads?

1 person likes this.
  4. jkirven06

jkirven06 Astrea Snail

Its definetly a possiblity. I unplugged them for today to see if it helps while I am at work, also ordered a grounding probe for future insurance. Thanks, that helps as it may help support my working theory. I def just want to make sure I am not missing anything.

5. MG1970

MG1970 Plankton

Are your hydors clicking?

I remember something I read in one of the thousands of posts I've browsed
    that the Hydor power heads click when turned on with the wave maker and that the guy's fish did not like it. I have them and they do click when switched on but I don't have any fish in my tank yet to prove out that it bothers fish (In the process of a tank build). This might be a different reason for their behavior. Best of Luck.

6. jkirven06

jkirven06 Astrea Snail

Thanks I will look into that as well. I know they do a light click everytime they turn on.

7. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

do let us know what you find!

8. Click Here!

9. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

I have used evo750's on a wavemaker in the past and the clicking did not seem to be noticed by the fish.Fish in the tank are perculas,azures damsel,yellow watchman,and pygmy hawk.Could be stray voltage .

10. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

The twitching does indeed suggest stray voltage or a parasitic infestation. I can't really see that the "clicking" should bother the fishes, but an electrically "leaky" piece of equipment might cause the twitching.

Try measuring the voltage to ground with and without the equipment plugged in.

1 person likes this.
  11. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

+1 to Greg. Two of my tanks ran 4 Koralias each on wavemakers, and the clicking never bothered any of them. I am leaning towards the stray voltage as well. Very unlikely that all 3 fish would contract and show signs of a parasite on the same day IMO.

1 person likes this.
  12. frankdontsurf

frankdontsurf Astrea Snail

The click bothered my fish, but mine was way under powered for a 475. I sent it back to amazon, they sent me another and it doesn't click and its significantly stronger.. The Aqueon circulation pumps are WAY over powered, the 500gph puts my Koralia 475 to shame..

Lol, I don't really trust the popular brands much anymore. I went through 3 heaters and went back to the topfin 100w I bought at petco...only reason I bought it was to cycle my tank. Eheim, I ordered on amazon came in and didnt work then the Hydor had to be turned to 85 to keep water at 76. None keep my tank at 79F like the topfin.. My AC is at 75 during the day and drop to 67F when I sleep..