All about Sumps Filters and Fuges

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Articles and How To's' started by Powerman, Jan 4, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ccscscpc

ccscscpc Millepora

where did you get that pvc distributor or manifold?
    thats nice?

2. Click Here!

3. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Thanks for the suggestion, ComputerJohn. I'm pretty comfortable with it as is. If that 90 degree elbow breaks, I'm in for a lot more trouble than copper getting into my tank! :)

I got it from a company called FlexPVC. Otty recommended them. Good stuff. Check 'em out. :)

4. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

oh well Reefsparky beat me to it :) Product Listing - PVC-Manifolds

5. ccscscpc

ccscscpc Millepora

I have an iwaki 100 I am going to put a 1''-4 manifold on like you did.
    From that I ma gonna run my Aqua C EV 240 skimmer on one, then two will go back to the tank returns, then I will have an extra for future use.

I am going to be putting unions and ball valves all over the place to get flow right and to take things out if needed.

Did you find you were able to fine tune your skimmer and returns with that manifold without any problems?

Hopefully it will work as I am planning!

6. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

My skimmer came with its own pump. As for the returns, I had to dial it back a bit to prevent my return chamber in the sump from getting sucked dry.

7. fischkid2

fischkid2 Dirty Filter Sock

Great write up thank you. I will be referring back to this post many times, im sure.
    K+ indeed.

8. Click Here!

9. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

Awesome thread Powerman. Where have been storing all this information? We are your friends so share what's on your mind good buddy.:cheesy:
    I have a store bought RM300 sump/refugium which can handle up to a 300 gallon tank. I have a 210 All Glass with dual overflows. The overflow hoses drain into a 4" chamber filled with bio-balls. The baffle has verticle 1/4" openings across the top half and the pipes have holes in them to defuse the bubbles. The chamber empties into the fuge with just a slight disappearing row of bubbles. The fuge has a 6" DSB, live rock and cheato and is 15Lx11.5Wx12H which is approx. 9 gals. It then overfalls into the sponge and floss area and then to the sump. In the sump is a Marine Pro 300 skimmer and a mag 1200 with a ball valve and a y split for the returns. I have 3 bags of Chemi Pure and a bag of Phoslock. I also have 2 koralia 4's and 2 koraila 2's in the display tank.
    After reading your thread I'm wondering about the need for the sponge and floss. What do you think? Below is the Sealife Systems page for the unit and here is a picture of mine in operation. Let me know what you think?
    ReefMaster 300 <br> (aquariums up to 300 gallons)

Attached Files:

10. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

You do not "need" to change anything. Some suggestions.... The bioballs are more trouble than they are worth. Being loose in the overflow, they are a pain to dig out and clean. There is no filter to keep them clean. They are there for a little bio filtration and to help diffuse bubble.

So.... if you keep then, at least put them in mesh bags so it it easier to get them out and rinse them off when you do water changes. Honestly, I would just take them out. You don't need them for bubbles either.

The fuge will get a few bubbles on the surface. No big deal.... which brings us to the sponge and floss. I'm no fan of cleaning sponges, but in your case they are there for bubble control and to catch any algae from the fuge. You don't need the floss. I ran some for a while.... my LFS just puts some mesh in their fuge to catch stuff. Good Idea. The sponge is there to catch bubble... especially if you have any from your overflow after taking out the bio balls.

All in all no big deals. You have a nice sump/fuge that doing the job. I hope you have a ATO. Keeping the water level consistent in the skimmer section will give you consistent skimmer performance.

11. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

Is there any negative reason to plumbing the PVC an inch above the floor of the intake chamber so its submerged in the water thus creating no noise? this is how i have mine setup and thus far i havent found a negative... it does create bubbles

12. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Sorry BJE, meant to reply yesterday. There is no problem doing that.

One common way is to put a tee at the end... tee going vertical. So that the return pipe goes down into the water, and the top of the tee comes out and is a good way to let air rise in the tube and not create so many bubbles. If anyone has one pleas do post pics.

Bottom line is air bubbles have to be dealt with one way or another. Submerged pie, holes drilled in it, tees, boxes, media...ect. Air form the drain makes noise and salt creep. I never went over it in this thread because I have a Herbie overflow that does not have air in it. Feel free to share your fix.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.