All about Sumps Filters and Fuges

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Articles and How To's' started by Powerman, Jan 4, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Yes. There is no way you can ever balance two pumps. You have to have one drain from the display tank. Split it as much as you want. But then it all has to flow back to the return pump and only one pump can provide return to the tank and overflow from it. The sytem can never be slipt it two and run two pumps... no way to balance that out. You will over flow or run dry something.

2. Click Here!

3. Zander

Zander Spaghetti Worm

I guess the AFS conversion is my best bet then.

Thanks for the help.

4. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

It is really going to depend on how that is plumbed in and how it makes up. I realize you are not going to be making up... just look into how the water will flow between the two. Call the company and see if it will do what you want before you spend the money. The AFS will have to be able to drain into the filter and you may still have to raise it above.

If the drain comes of the bottom that will make it hard. You will need to put a stand pipe in the ATF so that it overflows instead of drains.

It gets really complicated trying to redesign stuff to make it work a different way.

5. Zander

Zander Spaghetti Worm

The AFS is connected at the bottom and will naturally flow in the sump where the return pump is for the W/D.

Only draw back is the protein skimmer pump is right behind the return pump, counting on the fact that return pump is stronger and in front I could safely theorize a minimal loss of pods to the skimmer pump if any. (connection for the AFS to W/D is right in front of the return pump)

I just ordered the AFS, I need to see it in person to see how I can modify it. Talking to them on the phone was a waste of time and they recommended against modifying the units.

I will begin the project when I come back from vacation in a week.

6. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Ya... I could see them not recommending smething different. Cool.

And I have never thought that if the skimmer was after the fuge that 100% of the pods will be lost. Far from it probably. Just that IF you have a choice, we want to design something we think will be ideal and in that case you don't want the skimmer after the fuge. I can tell you though nobody has ever counted the pods in skimate to see how many are actually getting caught up.:);)

7. Zander

Zander Spaghetti Worm

I don't plan on counting them..lol I primarily just want the Deep sand bed and cheatos. The pods are just a plus for me.

I will def take tons of pics when I am done.

8. Click Here!

9. Zander

Zander Spaghetti Worm

Now that I am thinking about it I might do ulva instead since it is more appealing for fish so that I can use that as a food supplement as well. Maybe both we will see how much space I have in there.

10. Zander

Zander Spaghetti Worm

The never ending struggle continues, I completed the Fuge add on without issue and works great as a convenient add on.

Now my Current problem is I am still seeing suspended particles floating about my tank and I am questioning is the flow rate enough from the current wet dry filter?

Currently 125 Gal Tank and the W/D Filter is rated to 700Gph I also use a 1600gph wave maker for water movement.

I have converted my mechanical filtration to felt and is 100 micron rated.

Not enough filtration?

11. quinstar

quinstar Fire Worm

@Zander I'd love to see some pics of how you did it. I'm running the same filter and have been going back and forth on whether to just bite the bullet and make my own sump/fuge or stick with what I have. If I could just modify it that would be even better.

12. Zander

Zander Spaghetti Worm

Do you have the AFS? I took out the white container and inserted a Acrylic sheet in middle where the groove is.

Split the feed for the drain pipe and it automatically drains right into the main filter sump through the connection hose.

I actually am going to part ways with mine let me know if you want it, I am doing a much larger sump/fuge/grow/breeder

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.