Alkalinity too High

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by ZachB, Nov 15, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

What is the best salt that would be recommended?

I have noticed that the Instant Ocean doesn't really dissolve all that well. Doesn't your salt usually contain the MG that is necessary? Or should I get a supplement to dose the MG?

2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

I use reef crystals. I haven't done a water change in months though. Before getting anything for mg, I'd get a test kit. Trust me..........

4. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Going to the LFS to get a MG kit. Reef Crystals - is that the MG supplement?

5. silverwolf72

silverwolf72 Skunk Shrimp

RC is IO for reef tanks, it contains more Mg, ALK, and CAL. Instant Oceans is more geared towards fish only tanks.
    I use IO and just dose ALK with baking soda
    I have only soft corals so I rarely need to dose CAL

6. missionsix

Get an mg kit and supplement only. If you need salt(get some) I use Instant Ocean Reef Crystals. If you need to raise mg(probably do) you won't be doing it with salt water.

7. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Best advice on this thread yet! Good job.........

8. Click Here!

9. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Peace.......John.

1 person likes this.
  10. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Oh yeah.......Mission brings up a great point. Forgot allllllll about Mg. Man, I am slow today. Get your balance between these three and you will have no problems. The rule of thumb is a 3.25:1 ratio (Mg:Ca). As an example, I keep my numbers as follows

dKH: 12
    Ca: 460
    Mg: 1500
    pH: Follows the above at 8.2

Keeping numbers like this (or similar ratios) will really stabilize your tank.

11. missionsix

It's the only way to fix it...........

1 person likes this.
  12. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Thank you very much to all who responded! I am going to start using RO water at this point on my tank. After talking to the guy at the LFS, I found that the water here in Tampa has large amounts of dissolved solids, and a very high KH to start with. So basically I am never going to lower by doing water changes as it will simply be replaced with crappy water, and must use RO to lower and maintain the tank. Live and learn :)

I am going to start running Phos-Ban in my tank starting tomorrow to reduce po4 levels, as well as start with my initial fill of my sump with approx 10 gallons of RO water to start to bring down the KH. I also picked up a bottle of "Ions" by SeaChem as well to start to raise my MG levels. Haven't tested the MG levels yet but will be picking up the kit tomorrow as well. Apparently CA and KH tests aren't accurate until the MG levels are correct.

John, what test kits are you using? k+ to you and mission both!