Alkalinity too High

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by ZachB, Nov 15, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Howdy all. I tested my water today, and all is well except for alkalinity (phosphates slightly high, but no emergency). It tests well over 200 (LFS measured it slightly over 350).

How do I safely lower without crashing the tank? SG 1.025, PH 8.3, NO2 0, NO3 20 (give or take a small amount), Ammonia 0, CA 280 (no corals that depend on high CA, but dosed a teaspoonful, will measure again later, should rise), PO4 2.5. Going to start running Purigen tomorrow as well as a bag of Phos-zorb in my sump in the pump section to start lowering the PO4 and N03 levels, as well as doing a partial water change.

What chemical or buffer should lower the KH level, without messing with the PH? All seems to be doing very well in the tank, but I suspect I need to get it lowered sooner rather than later. I just did a 10% water change last week- note that this is the first time I've measured the KH level in the tank.

Thanks all!

Z

2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Bring the CA to about 450-460, the alkalintiy will drop as CA levels rise. Also, the water change with will help a lot, assuming your using good water and salt mix

1 person likes this.
  4. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

But..

From what I was reading, that would make sense. However, my buddies 10G tank tested at @ 500 CA with 350 KH. PH on the 10g with 500 CA is 8.3 and KH is also very high.

???

5. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

If its going that way for you guys, what are you dosing, and why?

6. silverwolf72

silverwolf72 Skunk Shrimp

Just do water 10-20% water change once a week, and dont dose anything unless you really need it and can measure it.
    As far as I can remember high ALK in itself is not that bad as long as your PH is still good, just slows the absorption of CAL.

7. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Not sure

I have only dosed with Seachem PH Buffer, as per recommendations on the bottle, to keep PH stable once per week. I added a very slight amount of Iodine, and other than that, nothing. I use Instant Ocean salt, with Tap water treated conditioner. I also change roughly 2-3 gallons of water each weekend.

8. Click Here!

9. silverwolf72

Check your new saltwater and see if it measures high also, may be a bad batch

10. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

New Water

Good idea - I'll do that. If it does, what would be recommended to lower it?

11. silverwolf72

I also think ph buffer is mainly bicarbonate which is what you use to raise ALK :)
    I just use backing soda (sodium bicarbonate) to raise my ALK.
    Best just to let it come down on it's own, if the salt is bad I would take it back

12. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

If you are trying to deal with kh or Ca, start with magnesium. Work all you want to on lowering your kh. It will be a waste of time til' your magnesium is at a good level. I wouldn't do anything til' you get a kit, test and, adjust mg as necessary. When mg is good go to kh;););););)........