Alk LOW and Cal High...help me out friends

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by ladwpwrkr, Jul 19, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ladwpwrkr

ladwpwrkr Fire Worm

Ok so title says it all......Need help raising ALk & lowering Cal
    using D-D H2Ocean Pro salt
    tested perimeters yesterday:

SG:1.025
    PH:8.2
    Nitrates:0
    Calcium:500
    Alk:7 DKH
    Phosphates .02 (tank)
    Phosphates .00 (RODI)
    Phosphates .01 (out of reactor w/GFO)

Tested Today:

SG:1.025
    PH:8.2
    Cal:480
    Alk:7 DKH

I dont have a MAG test kit yet
    I have had a major GHA problem which is slowly getting in check now that i am running GFO/Carbon.
    I have b-ionic 2 part on deck ready but dont want to dose to "maintain" perimeters until I get them where they should be.
    How do u all recommend I raise my alk and lower my cal??
    4 days ago I bought my first 2 hard corals (acros)...one seems to have RTN, the other is doing ok...WHY? I am assuming its my low alk/high cal.

Other livestock:
    1 clown
    1 chromis
    frogspawn
    xenia
    green star polyps
    a few mushrooms
    various cuc (snails, crabs)
    sand sifting star
    bistle star

55 gal/20 gal sump, fuge w/ cheto

HELP?? How do i get my perimeters in line??

Thanks!!!

2. Click Here!

3. doylef4i

doylef4i Bubble Tip Anemone

You need to test your mag.It is basicly the one thing that helps to maintain your alk and your calcium.If it is low it is almost impossible to maintain both.Get it tested and report back.

4. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

this is a bit of a read, but, if you're interested, I scrounged up some answers and solutions for ya.....

Chemistry and the Aquarium

5. ladwpwrkr

ladwpwrkr Fire Worm

ok, I had a feeling that was coming :shame: Gonna pick up a kit tomorrow and report back!

Is Salifert the recommended test kit?? All other kits I have are api, except for phosphates, which is a hanna....

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Salifert and Seachem are both very good, Elos is also in that class. 7 dKH is the low end of the recommended range for alk. In this case you need to increase your dosing of alk and decrease the dosing of Ca. Ca doses not need to be above 450 as there have been no benefits found for having it above 420. High levels of Ca and Mg inhibit the building of coral skeletons. Do not let Ca fall below 380 as this can cause health issues in SPS corals. Your Mg should be in the range of 1250 to 1350. You can go to 1500 with the Mg without much issue.

7. threephase37

threephase37 Fire Worm

I had the same issues not a week ago, come to find out the seachem reef status (sorry 2in10, not to arguee just my findings) test kit was in date but off. I went to salifert across the board and learned my alk was ok at 3.4meq. Go slow with mag and alk dosing, Brs has a great calculator you can use for recommended dosing amounts and how much per day. Make sure the dates on the kits are good for a good while. you can use lime in your ATO to keep it stable once you get it to where you want it if not already running it.

8. Click Here!

9. ladwpwrkr

ladwpwrkr Fire Worm

I am currently not dosing anything....ONLY water changes with H2Ocean salt. So these perimeters are from the salt mix only. I had gotten lazy on my water changes for a while, however in the past 2 weeks I have done a series of 3 water changes about 10 to 12 gallons each to bring everything up to par.

10. ladwpwrkr

ladwpwrkr Fire Worm

thanks! Im going with the salifert kits from now on. I went to my lfs today, and unfortunately they were out of mag kits, so Im goimg to another lfs tomorrow.

11. ladwpwrkr

ladwpwrkr Fire Worm

I picked up that mag kit by salifert and according to to the kit my mag is at 1860....This seems rather high to me, so pros and cons, opinions, recommendations would be appreciated...thanks

12. ladwpwrkr

ladwpwrkr Fire Worm