Alk levels fluctuating

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Jennifer, May 4, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jennifer

Jennifer Astrea Snail

My alkalinity levels are never stable. They are constantly ranging from 6.7 to 8.2. If I don't dose they stay at around 6.7dkh. I can get them up if I dose but they fall back in about a few days. Last dosed on April 28 and levels were 8.2dkh.

Today my reading are
    pH 8.2
    alkalinity 6.72
    mag 1375mg/L
    calcium 420

every thing else is at 0ppm except nitrates at 5ppm. I don't test these that often anymore. Is it okay to leave my alk at this level. Everything else is at the right levels so I hate to adjust too much and have calcium drop.

2. Click Here!

3. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

what is your SG?

IME, I could never keep Ca or Alk stable (or even up) unless my Mg remains above 1400.

Literally, when it drops below 1400 my numbers go haywire. So I keep it at 1500 and when it drops to 1400 I raise it by 100 points.

IMO, you'll have no luck with your Alk until you get (and keep) Mg above 1400

4. Jennifer

Jennifer Astrea Snail

5. newtosalt

newtosalt Spaghetti Worm

whats mg magnisuim

6. skiergd011013

skiergd011013 Peppermint Shrimp

what size system is it and is there a reason your dosing? (i e lots of sps or clams) when i started i found dosing did more harm than good with levels fluctuating wildly. i now rely on weekly waterchanges and everything is great.

7. newtosalt

newtosalt Spaghetti Worm

my numbers say 9 for dkh and 440 for calcium what are you dosing with

8. Click Here!

9. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

+1 to the mag statement! I drove myself nuts until someone (perhaps you peredhil?) pointed this out. Now I keep it up to 1450-1500 and the other two remain constant.