Alk Getting low...

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Stingray, May 2, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Stingray

Stingray Blue Ringed Angel

Ok, thanks, will thow some in the oven to bake, when complete how much should i add to raise the alk, my makeup water that i plain on mixing it with before adding to the tank has had kalkwasser mixed in and seachem magnesium added?

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

3reef.com - Forums for coral reef aquariums, salt water fish, corals, inverts, protein skimmers, aquarium lighting and more - Calculators

Hi Stingray, not sure he is on site - but I have the link above set for Alk (well it was when I cut and pasted link)

you need to add your system dimensions, your current ALK , your target Alk and then use the drop down box to select product your using ' baking powder is on there, I checked'

it will tell you how much to add to reach your desired level - if its a big leap, as per Jasons earlier posts, do it over a few days, bring it up gradual

Steve

1 person likes this.
  4. Stingray

Based on the charts if i raise my alk from 6 to 9dkh, this will lower my ph which is 8 and if adding this lowers my calcium and magnesium, they are very low also, so what order should i do this in, never messed with the chemistry before so its all a bit confuseing...

5. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

You will need to add the baked Baking soda over time. How much does the calculator say you should add

J

1 person likes this.
  6. Stingray

3.8 teaspoons the tank is a 250litre but i put in 200 because of rocks, corals, etc...

Also as i stated earlier would it be ok to add this to my ready mixed make-up water abover 5 gallons?

7. Jason McKenzie

You can divide the 3.8 teaspoons in to 3 separate dosages. I would add it separately.

How I do it is to fill a 1L bucket with tank water I then add the amount of Baking Soda I will be using for that part of the dose (in your case 1.3 teaspoons). Mix it well and pour it into my sump. I would then wait 4 hours and do it again until the entire 3.8 teaspoons had been dosed.

J

8. Click Here!

9. Stingray

Thank you, will do it the way you suggested, couple more questions..

1-can i add it to plain r/o top-up water?

2-will the adding of all this baking soda, cause any fluctuations in mag,alk,calcium,ph, for them to rise would be good, but they are already borderline low, and to drop anywmore would be not good?

10. Jason McKenzie

yes you can add it to RO Water.

Yes it will have an effect on CA and PH but not significant. The PH will rise with each dose but return after a couple of hours

J

1 person likes this.
  11. Stingray

ok, justed added my first lot of bicarbonate of soda, 1.3tsb in a litre of make-up, and the ph as shot up from 8.0 to 8.4 whoops is this ok?

12. Stingray

Good news is just tested the alk and its gone from 6dkh to 7.7dkh will do another topup tomorrow.....

1 person likes this.