Alk Getting low...

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Stingray, May 2, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Hi guys

just a post aimed at people who may be unfamiliar and thus hesitant to use domestic products in their reef tanks

for experienced reef keepers like Jason M, R Horton and R34 Dawn (and the many others not on this thread , using Epsom salts, pickling lime, the salt that keeps your drive clear when it snows etc - is like falling off a log, they dont have to think twice about it, they know what they are doing and get it done

for others, myself included , dont always have the confidence to buy a product, designed to make a ladies bath more relaxing and add it to our reef tanks

I will say this, the 1st time you do use a cost saving, domestic use product, without a fancy label , and everything works out perfect for you (as it will)

you will be really pleased with yourselves

Steve

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Epsom Salts are fine to use once in a while but will build up Sulfates over time. Just like using nothing but Magnesium Chloride will build up chloride over time. But the Chloride is more useful in a reef tank. If you are using bulk ALK buffers like Sodium Bicarbonate. It has a by product of Sodium. and Mag Chloride has a by product of Chloride. So basically the 2 bi-products result in Sodium Chloride or Salt

1 person likes this.
  4. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

It's very important to read the Labels. Epsom Salts, for example, if you are using Bath salts you need to ensure no perfumes or colours or anything other than Magnesium Sulfate is in the product.
    Another example.
    I recently felts I needed to lower my PH. With the addition or an air pump only helped a bit I was looking for a source of CO2 without getting a cylinder of CO2. So I went looking for a bottle of Soda Water. From reading the labels most Soda waters have Sodium Bicarbonate added to the carbonated water. Some even have sugar. Anyway if i where to use a Soda water with the added Sodium Bicarbonate it would have raised my PH not low it.
    I was able to find a Soda Water that was just carbonated water. and a 2L bottle took my PH from 8.53 to 8.31

J

1 person likes this.
  5. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Steve - what qualifications lead you to believe R Horton and R34Dawn are experienced reef keepers? I don't see even one SPS in R34's 1 year old 55 gallon tank, and R Hortons 55 gallon 2-1/2 year old tank with zoas, softies and mushrooms? Heck, I've only been at this for 1-1/2 years myself, and I have no SPS either, so I don't even consider myself experienced.

6. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

I was being polite Bogie, and I would have included your name on my post if you where on the thread before I made my contribution

master Im level 7 now? will you make allowances for me? you where on it and I missed it, sorry

Steve :-[

7. reefer Bob

reefer Bob Montipora Digitata

I hate to sound like a repeat. But where do these things like sulfates hide? If they stay in the water cant they be changed out with water changes? It seems some use them pretty steadily w/o complaints. I dont see a point in using epsom, if you can only use it rarely.

8. Click Here!

9. Stingray

Stingray Blue Ringed Angel

Ok some great info, once my mag is up then i can raise my calcium to 450 right?, will this raise my alk at the same time or will i have to do this seperatley also...

10. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

LOL. I had posted second on this thread in reply to the OP. ;)
    All is good Steve. 8) One of these days I got to create the 3 reef MyBrute.com Clan.

<<<<----- See my mood? I am Relaxed. :lol:

11. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

wow bogie little defensive? j/k

I do think of you as expeirenced heck allot of advice I've got has come from you.

I have had sps in my tank for over a year.(not sure why you think i only keep softies).
    torch,galaxy(tooth coral),pipe organs. birds nest. brain coral.
    but I am still learning heck I think is this hobby we all are.

12. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

No, actually raising your Ca will lower your Alk.
    For every 20 ppm you bump your Ca, your Alk will decrease by 1 dKH.